UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Modified F20c Engine Builder UK

Old 07-11-2023, 11:32 PM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
K24 lol

I would dig up MBs race car thread
Have done, hence trying to contact Veysport.

​​​​
The following users liked this post:
nomadicS2k (09-15-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 02:59 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Have done, hence trying to contact Veysport.

​​​​
Cool.. he did weight reduction too. I'm sure there are things you can do but maybe try the throttle bodies route? I've heard they sound a bit tasty

You won't squeeze loads more power without major surgery, I think the F20C is a work of art. Still enjoy my standard car Vs the supercharged one for different reasons, you can really ring it's neck without fear of jail and it just feels so right.. but it's not quick by any modern standard even when ragged to death.. but is quick enough

Could get a tuned F22C

Old 07-12-2023, 04:37 AM

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

I'll stick my neck out and say .. tolerances.
I'm a firm believer that what happened in that Suzuka factory was genius work that can never be replicated on a bench anywhere. And as soon as you interfere, it's already heading down the timebomb theory. Just my thoughts. All the investment can disappear with a spun bearing.
But.. contradictory thought, the throttle bodies do sound the most sensible route, or even a spurt of 50/75 wet Nos, if done properly and professionally. Could add to the mix of a real Johnny Tran car, minus the Rotrex and snowflake stickers.
I'm arguing with myself if I was in your shoes
Theres a chap on the FB site that's done a ground up restoration - the car cost him 4.5k a few years ago. It's like brand new now - absolutely the best I've ever seen.
I'm on the opinion that if you're wanting alot more power , then that's not the point of the car.. You'd be back to plan B and looking at something else. Like in the other thread (981S, 111S power to weight, etc etc).
I've never for one minute thought my car lacks power - it's more than enough and I wont engage in traffic light races with Tesla's or 2 tonne twin turbo SUVs with 500bhp+ (not saying you will).
I Know the s2000 is only more exposed on track - certainly not on the country roads, therefore stripping it works for the more commited track enthusiast preferring the F20.
But - if I lived at track, I'd certainly be Caterham driven by now. Or Ginetta. An S2000 won't ever be a match on G's and the fact they obliterate most stuff. Suppose that would get boring though . No?. Elephant in the room - extra power would it affect reliability? I'd expect so, maybe.
Unless you're going to get a cast iron guarantee of nil chance engine failure , I'd be careful how much you throw in.
​​​
Old 07-12-2023, 06:01 AM

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

You're certainly not hitting that power with an F20c without making it run to about 10.5-11krpm and the ensuing race cams, valvetrain and rebuilds on a time schedule that that involves, tbh, as above.
Throttle bodies on a big airbox, or a modified bigger inlet plenum will get you a handful of extra horsepower up top but that's all, Honda even released all the white paper research on that to read (they went with a smaller plenum and sacrificed a few horsepower for throttle response in the end).

You'd absolutely have to stroke the engine out or go K24 to get anywhere near that and still be a comfortable street driver. Or stick it on a US dyno where they seem to read the same at the wheels as the rest of the world at the crank

I know it's outside the UK but if France is close enough get in touch with Vincent Foucart he makes rally motors that will run all year without anything but your usual serving which might fit the bill, but you're still gonna be looking at a refresh every winter.

Last edited by BuggyofMildDiscomfort; 07-12-2023 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:31 AM

Yeh, I know 300bhp is a stretch. Hence it's a 'no more than' figure. I suspect 260-280 is more realistic, especially if I want to keep it reliable.

I will probably be doing ITBs (with vacuum block), scavenger exhaust and maybe cams (and valve springs, maybe head refurb with stems) from Urge Designs in the States. That should net me the most I can get with add ons.

The main remaining question is what to do with the block. My current block uses no oil at all (even on track day), but does have a bit of piston slap, particularly when cold. I will measure the bores to see how oval they are and work out what my options are then.

One option is to sell the engine as a running concern, buy a brand new block (and used head) and do the head rebuild mentioned above (maybe even getting Urge to to their porting). Add that to the add-on mods and be happy I've got a nice new motor forever.

Another option is to bore/hone my block and maybe convert to a higher compression 2.2 with crank, rods, pistons, BUT ONLY IF I can find a builder who's 'been there done it' and has proven reliability. I don't mind it not having the 150k+ mile longevity, but I don't want to rebuild every 2 years/5k miles either. It's all about balance or power vs maintenance faff/cost.
​​​​

Last edited by chrispayze; 07-12-2023 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by BuggyofMildDiscomfort
Or stick it on a US dyno where they seem to read the same at the wheels as the rest of the world at the crank
Having done some reading, I did wonder this!
BuggyofMildDiscomfort (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Having done some reading, I did wonder this!
It's been like that for decades, honestly it's an easy rule of thumb for a lot of things. There's only so much torque you can get out of a certain config and if you don't then have the extra rpms to match, then you ain't making the power claimed down the pub
chrispayze (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 10:13 AM

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

I think this is why those that want that extra poke for their own reasons, opt for SC. But it doesn't have to be the full whack, super hot engine bay 400bhp.
good luck with the project Chris, we wait to see your build
Old 07-12-2023, 10:15 AM

Yeh I've done the SC thing but I don't want to lose the throttle response, intake noise etc this time round. Plus it's an interesting challenge! Part of me wants to build the engine myself too. Then I will have genuinely done everything on my car myself!
Old 07-12-2023, 12:00 PM

Honest they sound glorious on throttle bodies with a big airbox, that's enough reason, forget about the power
nomadicS2k (09-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Modified F20c Engine Builder UK