UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Mod recommendations?

Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a read through the history (again), I bought the S in June with 86k on the clock, last service was done by TGM with 82k on the clock. Receipt says "engine oils" - am I right in assuming that this is just the engine oil, and wouldn't included diff oil or gear oil?

Track day sounds good Driver tuition for track driving - any recommendations?

Ordered the glove box organiser .

Geo-setup would be worth doing after coilovers, otherwise I'll end up doing it twice seeing as I'll definitely be getting coilovers.

Question on coilovers - on the Civic I upgraded LCA's, rear camber adjuster, front camber arms to avoid excessive "stance", would I need to get additional parts on the S (apart from the coilovers)?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperHamz
Had a read through the history (again), I bought the S in June with 86k on the clock, last service was done by TGM with 82k on the clock. Receipt says "engine oils" - am I right in assuming that this is just the engine oil, and wouldn't included diff oil or gear oil?
Give them a call, I highly doubt it would have been gearbox and diff though. If it was find out which oils they used any way.

Geo-setup would be worth doing after coilovers, otherwise I'll end up doing it twice seeing as I'll definitely be getting coilovers.
Might be worth checking now that you even can have the geo adjusted. If the bolts are seized it's something you can factor in getting sorted when you go for coilovers.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:05 AM

Tricky one on the geo. Leave it too long before getting coilies you may need new tyres too. And the issue of siezed bolts etc. If lowering too much you will need driveshaft spacers etc. Your £500 coilover kit could become a possible £1000 job.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:07 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Track day sounds good Driver tuition for track driving - any recommendations?

Ordered the glove box organiser .

Question on coilovers - on the Civic I upgraded LCA's, rear camber adjuster, front camber arms to avoid excessive "stance", would I need to get additional parts on the S (apart from the coilovers)?
Track day/driver tuition - come to this: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/101...ay-9th-august/

You don't need to fit anything else with new coilovers provided you don't lower it excessively.

Why do you want coilovers?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:10 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

...last service was done by TGM with 82k on the clock. Receipt says "engine oils" - am I right in assuming that this is just the engine oil, and wouldn't included diff oil or gear oil?
My previous owner had a full service at TGM and it clearly states Gearbox and Diff oils on separate lines of the receipt FWIW I spoke to them a couple of days ago to book in for a service and geo and they use Castrol Edge engine oil (not sure about the gearbox and diff though)
Old 07-29-2013, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Track day/driver tuition - come to this: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/101...ay-9th-august/

You don't need to fit anything else with new coilovers provided you don't lower it excessively.

Why do you want coilovers?
Ah 9th August, won't be able to do that, will keep an eye out in the events section for the next one!

I found with the Civic that the handling was better, maybe I'm just assuming the same for the S - like you suggested though, track day will be far more beneficial in terms of getting to know the car and what I'd like.

The gap between the arch and the tyres bugs me, but I'm not one for having a car sit excessively low either.

I'll get the geo done as I've had a thorough look through the documents from the previous owner and there's nothing there and I don't fancy spending a fortune curing something I can potentially prevent.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:41 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I did the usual coilies, exhaust system, intake, wheels, brake lines and all fluids but now wish I had done full powerflex bush replacement and derust/powdercoat before anything else. Its not fun or sexy but would ensure a good starting point for other mods.

Driver tuition is also good. Having spun mine shortly after purchase on a greasy road with cr@p tyres, doing a track day / tuition gave me lots of confidence back.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 AM

I went to get the alignment done today, was completely off both front and rear.

Unfortunately, we came to a snag, the rear toe nut (?) was stuck, so they couldn't sort out the adjustment - the guys were worried it would snap, so they said to get it fixed before completing the adjustment.

What would I need to do to get this fixed? Is it just a replacement nut?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, we came to a snag, the rear toe nut (?) was stuck, so they couldn't sort out the adjustment - the guys were worried it would snap, so they said to get it fixed before completing the adjustment.

geo bolt seized?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 AM

It will likely be a seized bush and probably not the only one to be seized either, be prepared for some work and payout, it's not a simple/easy job and it's not cheap to do ... unless you only have one bolt seized and no bushes of course, but you need to see someone who knows about this, where are you based ?

Quick Reply: Mod recommendations?