UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Mobile phone legislation
Lamentations
6.25%
Horrah
81.25%
12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Mobile phone legislation

Old 10-29-2003, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MarkB maybe they'll encourage us to take pictures of each other and send them in for a reward
Not using your camera-phone whilst driving though I hope
Old 10-29-2003, 01:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StevenM
Old 10-29-2003, 01:32 AM

14 years back in Uk covering 30,000 miles pa every year allways on the phone, never had a crash [touching wood] never caused a crash, never caused a near miss.
can't help thinking of all those ever so safe 'pensioners' who leave a wake of chaos and distruction behind them as they pootle along back to he old folks home..............blissfully unware and smug in their self satisfaction that they've never been involved in an accident every since they had their first car.....a Ford Model T

oh no offence Allan
Old 10-29-2003, 01:48 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally posted by uktrucks
Controversially I think a lot of UK drivers must have underdeveloped brains to be unable to multitask whilst driving ! I

Allan

How often do you see an arse in a 4x4 with brick against right ear, so he can't turn head, other hand on wrong side of wheel, so he cannot indicate, carving about totally unaware what he's doing? It's partly arrogance, partly attention deficit disorder, mostly stupidity.

I know a few people who do a lot of telephoning when driving, as it's the only opportunity they get. Since we are permanently in a traffic jam, it would be nonsensical to ban it entirely.

Personally, I use autoanswer & headset to take calls, & if I sound distracted, that's tough shit - I am. I tend not to make calls, because I cannot fathom how to work the radio & drive, let alone the phone.

Psychologically, I find talking on a headset more natural, like real conversation. Conversely, I have always hated using telephones in general. Whether it's like talking to oneself through a plastic tube that makes one feel slightly silly, I dunno. I always thought it was the lack of body language, but that doesn't explain why headsets seem easier.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by cheshire_carper
Would it be worth me taking the `I think mobiles should be permitted whilst driving` in car stance? I don`t really, but I fancy a nice argument.

I`ll get the ball rolling with.....

Whats the diff between eating a Mars bar and using a mobile?

Or

Whats the diff between being 18, having your girlfriend pleasure you in a car whilst driving? Come on, we`ve ALL done that. Should I be imprisoned for risking others lives?

Or

Whats the diff between being a salesrep, with one of those gay stick-on notepads (some one out there will have one, own up, I know you will), jotting down a new `lead`, in a blue Mondeo, whilst doing 110 in the fast lane?
Very true - in fact when I was driving back form York last night down half the British motorway network, in the pi$$ing down rain, it occured to me that what you eat in the car has a risk factor.

For example, as Chesh said, a Mars bar is probably safer than a mobile phone - ie ya open the wraper and chomp away

But the dilema I had was the Ginsters Southern style wrap and a packet of Mcoys crisps, which one to open first, or which to take a bite of next then wondering what to do when the missus phones whilst eating

I have to admit I slowed down to think about this then decided the wrap was far tastier and carried on. But what if you did have a crash whilst eating - especially when considering the airbag splattering the said food all over ya face ?

I can see it in the papers - Man suffocated in minor accident by errant cornish pastie..........

Mmmmmmmm.......
Old 10-29-2003, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by cheshire_carper
Would it be worth me taking the `I think mobiles should be permitted whilst driving` in car stance? I don`t really, but I fancy a nice argument.

I`ll get the ball rolling with.....

Whats the diff between eating a Mars bar and using a mobile?

Or

Whats the diff between being 18, having your girlfriend pleasure you in a car whilst driving? Come on, we`ve ALL done that. Should I be imprisoned for risking others lives?

Or

Whats the diff between being a salesrep, with one of those gay stick-on notepads (some one out there will have one, own up, I know you will), jotting down a new `lead`, in a blue Mondeo, whilst doing 110 in the fast lane?
The Diff?
IMHO, not a lot.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by W6DAN
Old 10-29-2003, 03:35 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I voted cos i dunno what Lamentations means

I think its a good thing though, about time, but how the hell do they enforce it. Ah well it is about prevention rather than prosecution isnt it
Old 10-29-2003, 04:42 AM

I agree with it but I think smoking whilst driving is even worse.
Ive seen no end of women taking there kids to school whilst having a fag looking to see if the ash has dropped trying to flick it out the window and they are far worse than any mobile use with say a handsfree kit. Also they always chuck the butt out the window. What the F##k have they got ashtrays for? I enjoy a crafty fag when Ive had a beer and when I first learnt to drive I would smoke even when I hadnt had a beer and I remember trying to flick my ash and there was a screwed up rizzla paper that caught fire in the ash tray. Now thats dangerous!
Old 10-29-2003, 05:34 AM

IMHO smoking in a car is far worse than mobile phone usage (which is v bad)

Quick Reply: Mobile phone legislation