UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Mobile phone legislation
Lamentations
6.25%
Horrah
81.25%
12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Mobile phone legislation

Old 10-28-2003, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We shouldn't have to have a law like this, as Moff says, it's already covered by existing laws - but let's face it - Gavin Whiteboard tanking up the M1 3 inches from your bumper doesn't consider yapping to his boss about his next oh-so-important client meeting as driving without due care, so the simple solution is to make more laws (it's what the government are good at).
I think it was on Pistonheads where I heard the comment that if you don't know why even talking hands-free can affect your driving, you can't be that good a driver in the first place....

Quite how they intend to enforce it is beyond me - you can't use cameras and there are no traffic police on the roads anymore - maybe they'll encourage us to take pictures of each other and send them in for a reward
Old 10-28-2003, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by MarkB
We shouldn't have to have a law like this, as Moff says, it's already covered by existing laws - but let's face it - Gavin Whiteboard tanking up the M1 3 inches from your bumper doesn't consider yapping to his boss about his next oh-so-important client meeting as driving without due care, so the simple solution is to make more laws (it's what the government are good at).
I think it was on Pistonheads where I heard the comment that if you don't know why even talking hands-free can affect your driving, you can't be that good a driver in the first place....

Quite how they intend to enforce it is beyond me - you can't use cameras and there are no traffic police on the roads anymore - maybe they'll encourage us to take pictures of each other and send them in for a reward

I think it's a positive step, although banning hands free kits too is ridiculous. Many of us spend a lot of time travelling to and from customers, mostly via the UK's largest moving carpark the M25.

It's not going to effect your driving if you're on the motorway - sweeping A or B road yes, but not on a predominantly straight, and very visible road . Tankung along a B road is obviously not a good idea as you need to concentrate 10 times more, and there's all sorts of additional turnoff's, tractors, and wildlife - particularly foxes

Long live hands free kits

Many thanks
G.Whiteboard
Old 10-28-2003, 11:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by MarkB
Quite how they intend to enforce it is beyond me - you can't use cameras and there are no traffic police on the roads anymore
Easy! A mobile video camera erected on the side of a busy road or at the exit of a roundabout.

Think of the revenue the government could cut basic rate income tax to 20p.

A month or so back when I had a puncture on the A41 and I had to wait an hour and a half to be recovered (4:30pm - 6:00pm) I estimated that about 1 in 15 drivers were using a hand held mobile phone - mostly drivers of prestige brand cars.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:17 AM

There is a real issue of concentration. I have a full handsfree kit, so no need to touch the phone when someone calls me as it is on 'Auto-Answer'. But depending on the conversation depends on the concentration level, and this is the same as a passenger speaking to me.

An example, I might take a call and a client will ask my an 'in-depth' question which would require me to think and to discuss..... this would take away some of my concentration from driving. But, I might get a call from the gf asking what time I am coming home blah blah... which requires no concentration. This is the same for a passenger(s) asking the same question, it makes no difference if I am on the phone or not, its completely irrelevant!!!

They is never going to be a law IMO that will be able to prosecute drivers for using handsfree kits as it will be impossible to enforce. Even if you are caught or cause an accident whilst on the phone how can they prove how much you were concentrating or not on your driving, unless the accident was caused by negligence.

If they do make handsfree kits illegal IMO the next to go should be GPS systems and I-drive systems (or similar), as these are more complex to use than mobiles!!
Old 10-29-2003, 12:33 AM

Controversially I think a lot of UK drivers must have underdeveloped brains to be unable to multitask whilst driving ! If you fly a helicopter you need to be able to work the collective [left hand] the rudder[both feet] the joy stick [right hand] and speak with both passengers and or tower. Oh and one mistake and your inthe ground killing everyone !

So merely steering an execubarge along with one foot working all the pedals and one hand on the feather light steering seems relatively easy too me, thus allowing lots of brain and coordination to operate the air con, cruise control, telephone, or whatever.

I firmly believe that it's because most people cannot safely operate a vehicle with all limbs that we have legislation constraining the few of us who are more than capable.

14 years back in Uk covering 30,000 miles pa every year allways on the phone, never had a crash [touching wood] never caused a crash, never caused a near miss.

Sorry but I had to stand up for the opposing view.

Allan
Old 10-29-2003, 12:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rralston
Old 10-29-2003, 12:48 AM

When you have someone with you in the car they can see what you see and therefore understand if you stop talking because you are aproaching a roundabout, turning on to a busy road etc.
Kids don't. How many parents do you see with a number of kids screaming in the back (or front!) for attention? They certainly don't 'shut up' when approaching hazards! Let's ban kids in cars too!

I do agree with the legislation though but think drivers should be able to use handsfree kits (including wire from phone to ear types).
Old 10-29-2003, 12:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MarkB
Old 10-29-2003, 01:03 AM

I observed a potential killer in a works vehicle just this morning.
Phone pressed to his ear with the right hand & a fag in the left hand.
If a kid ran in the road and he's got to swerve whom do you think would suffer?
1) The person on the other end of the phone by getting cut off?
2) The driver by burning his fingers?
3) Or the child, by getting flattened?

Like a game of roulette init.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Would it be worth me taking the `I think mobiles should be permitted whilst driving` in car stance? I don`t really, but I fancy a nice argument.

I`ll get the ball rolling with.....

Whats the diff between eating a Mars bar and using a mobile?

Or

Whats the diff between being 18, having your girlfriend pleasure you in a car whilst driving? Come on, we`ve ALL done that. Should I be imprisoned for risking others lives?

Or

Whats the diff between being a salesrep, with one of those gay stick-on notepads (some one out there will have one, own up, I know you will), jotting down a new `lead`, in a blue Mondeo, whilst doing 110 in the fast lane?

Quick Reply: Mobile phone legislation