UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Mobile phone legislation
Lamentations
6.25%
Horrah
81.25%
12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Mobile phone legislation

Old 10-28-2003, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lamentations or Hurrahs ?

Personally, I'm pleased that there will be a new law to draw attention and prevent people using their cell-phones while driving. I've had a few close calls ( ). Now, I doubt that this is intended to be enforced, and merely exists as a PR excercise, but I'm glad that it's happening.

[QUOTE]
New legislation outlawing phone use while driving is clarified

New rules on the use of hand held phones by drivers were published yesterday bringing to an end speculation about their content.

The new regulations are simple and unambiguous - from December 1st:

It will be a criminal offence to use a hand-held
mobile phone at any time while driving

The regulations do not prohibit, or allow, any specific type of equipment, phone or connector but simply make in an offence to hold a phone whilst driving and cover all activities associated with making or receiving a call including dialling.

The new regulations do not affect the present law, which still requires drivers to be in control of their car at all times.

Whilst the use of a hands free phone will not be an offence, drivers will face criminal prosecution and penalties ranging from a simple fine to disqualification and even imprisonment, if any aspect of the call adversely affects their driving and especially if it leads to a crash.

Kevin Delaney, Traffic and Road Safety Manager for the RAC Foundation burbled: "As well as using only hands free phones, drivers and employers should adopt a more responsible attitude to using phones at all. Keep your hands on the wheel, your eyes on the road and your mind on driving ."

Mobile telephones

(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a road if he is using -

(a) a hand-held mobile telephone; or

(b) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4).

(2) No person shall cause or permit any other person to drive a motor vehicle on a road while that other person is using -

(b) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4).

(3) No person shall supervise a holder of a provisional licence if the person supervising is using -

(b) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4),

at a time when the provisional licence holder is driving a motor vehicle on a road.

(4) A device referred to in paragraphs (1)(b), (2)(b) and (3)(b) is a device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data.

(5) A person does not contravene a provision of this regulation if, at the time of the alleged contravention -

(a) he is using the telephone or other device to call the police, fire, ambulance or other emergency service on 112 or 999;

(b) he is acting in response to a genuine emergency; and

Old 10-28-2003, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bout bleedin time. I've nearly been wiped out on 3 occasions, by drivers on phones.
Having said that I used to do it myself, and only stopped when I almost rear ended somebody.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Horrah.

On Monday a driver tried to run me off the road when exiting a roundabout on the A1. I looked round and sure enough he had a phone stuck to his ear.

...and this is a regular occurrence.

A recent report said that it is more dangerous than drinking and driving - A minimum 2 year ban should therefore be the punishment.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:50 PM

Gets my support - now they've made it clear you can use a headset.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't see holding a phone as being the problem.

Lack of concentration while making a call is the problem so headsets and hands free etc should also be banned.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:18 PM
GSi

[QUOTE](5) A person does not contravene a provision of this regulation if, at the time of the alleged contravention -
Old 10-28-2003, 01:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StevenM
Old 10-28-2003, 01:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StevenM
Old 10-28-2003, 01:45 PM

Sorry, but I do not understand why we need legislation to ban the use of mobile phones whilst driving, when the law already exists!!!!!!

Its currently illegal to drive without due car and attention or dangerous driving. People who eat, drink, read newspapers, maps, put on make up blah blah blah, are all currently prosecuted (if there are any traffic cops left) under these existing laws.

Does this mean that we need a new law regarding all other potential offences?

Waste of bloody time. Some twats in Whitehall must have went to a real brainstorming session to think of this one
Old 10-28-2003, 01:47 PM

yep, forgot about smoking, and changing the radio, and speaking to passengers, and altering the mirror...........

Quick Reply: Mobile phone legislation