UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Mixing tyres

Old 11-30-2005, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Nov 30 2005, 01:38 PM
The soggier sidewalls of the Toyos should give you more warning by floating more.
I think you'd have to be quite some driver on the public road to notice this difference.

I've used S02s summer and winter and IMO as long as they have decent tread, they're a pretty good all year tyre. The F1s were a disappointment with no discernible improvement in grip levels over a good set of Bridgestones and they tramlined chronically. I was almost glad when I had an irreparable puncture in one of them and had to take a new set for the winter - I've now got the Toyos all round and they seem a pretty good compromise for this time of year and I'm gaining confidence in using them more and more. I tend to run with higher tyre pressures (34 psi) and that works for me, but that could be more to do with our roads here than anything else. Come spring, they'll be coming off and the S02s will be back on though, because they have fantastic performance in the dry

I wouldn't mix tyre compounds on this car ever. Maybe it's just a myth, but most of a car's handling comes from the tyres - why would I want to take a chance on whether it was the front or rear tyres that let go or dig in first?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:09 AM

The T1Rs are meant to have more grip, but are equally badly made. I wouldn't have Toyos again if they were free
Sorry m8 but that
Old 12-01-2005, 12:50 AM

I've been following this thread with interest as I need to get new rears on my S (99).

I've only just recently bought the car & I have RE050s on the front which look fairly new and S02s on the rear which only have a couple of mm. left.

I've looked through the tech. FAQs & was wondering why I have the RE050s on the front.

I'm getting more confused as to which tyres to put on the rear so I think I'll stick with the SO2s.

Martin
Old 12-01-2005, 12:59 AM

I've looked through the tech. FAQs & was wondering why I have the RE050s on the front.
Possibly cos the previous owner needed some fronts and didn
Old 12-01-2005, 01:22 AM

Jel, for God's sake, don't mix tyres front to back. I've got the standard OE-spec RE050s on the front but sh1te rubber on the rear. And it makes the car so nervous in almost any weather that it's really not worth it. I am one of the aforementioned fools who's been wrestling with roadside furniture (namely a white plastic bollard) and I speak from sorry experience.

Same tyres all round would be my advice!
Old 12-01-2005, 01:24 AM

Same tyres all round would be my advice! thumbsup.gif
Without a doubt
Old 12-02-2005, 05:09 AM
Jel

main advices seems to be stick with same brand f>r, fair enough.

do i listen to the mumbo jumbo about bridgestones being cack in the snow (only driven on black ice/frost etc on them) and get four new toyos? or

do i save my penneth and just get two new S02 rears?

decisions.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem which nobody's referring to is the uneven wear between front and rear. Anybody switching brands, even if they replace all four initially, will inevitably find themselves in a position where either the front or rears need replacing first.

If you're then minded to switch brands again, this will mean a period of mixed tyres unless you (unnecessarily) replace all four at the same time.

Yes, 4 identically branded tyres is the ideal setup, but mixed tyres during a transition from one brand to another is often unavoidable and certainly not dangerous per se ...
Old 12-02-2005, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Lickermat,Dec 1 2005, 09:09 AM] Sorry m8 but that
Old 12-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Jel

Originally Posted by Dembo,Dec 2 2005, 08:35 PM
As for performance in the snow, either stay at home or buy another cheap car. Snow is not what you buy performance cars for.
I'd like to stay at home but I have this weird thing called a job and the S isn't impracticle enough to warrant a beater imo.

I never asked for 'peformance' in the snow, I just dont want to find myself unable to get up any hills (or fly through any hedges in the ice!)

Sod it, I think I'll stop being a poof and get more bridges.

Quick Reply: Mixing tyres