UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Missfire

Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missfire

Hi
I have 2005 S2000 and a while ago the engine light came on. A mate of mine who is a very experienced mechanic plugged his diagnostic unit in. It said I had a missfire on cyl 2. Suspecting the Ignition coil we moved no 2 coil to position no 3 and removed warning therefore the engine light went off. 800 miles later the engine light came back on. Re checked with diagnostic unit, it said fault was still on cyl no 2, therefore eliminating the ignition coil. Now swapped plug no2 with no3 and removed warning. When warning light comes back on if fault is still on cyl no2 we know it isnt the plugs!!!
Has anyone had a similar prob?
Thanks
Steve
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a really common problem mate (See the following thread)

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/659...__hl__missfire

I had it on my car last month. I tried changing coils and plugs. Still happened (I was getting 3 codes, Cyl2, Cyl4 and Random Missfire).

I swapped my injectors and I've been completely fine ever since. Your car is newer though. Follow the instructions in the thread I just posted. If none of that works, Id put money on the injector on cyl 2 is dodgy. Try swapping that with a different cylinder. Only takes about 15 mins.

Ad
Old 05-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve if the engine light still comes on after the plug replacement on cyl 2 then the next thing to do is to swap and the injector. It might be that creating the problem. After that i do not want to say because i might scare you Please report back what happened finally

Chris
Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Thanks for your help
I will get the mechanic to check the injectors if it isnt the plugs. Do not really understand ,although the diagnostic tells me there is a missfire the car runs fine I can feel no difference at all:-)
Stev
Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That you get the code of missfire doesn't mean you continiously have a missfire. Is just a momment that the ECU picks up a signal of something wrong and warns you with the engine light. It might missfire only once in a whole ride but the engine light stays on to warn you until you read the code and reset it. That's why you cannot feel a difference and you won't
Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 AM

Injector next thing to try as has been said.

I had months of this sort of thing, and you can't trust the ECU to accurately tell you which cylinder the fault is on (although if it keeps saying the same one it could well be right). Once it gets bad enough that you can get it running on 3 cylinders consistetly at idle, you can then unplug one coil at a time and be certain which one it is.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM

When mine did the same, I did the same swapping about of bits. Turned out it was the injector.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 PM

My ap1 did the same thing! £600 @ main dealer car still had problem! They thought it was valve timing and bent/burnt valve, had all the injectors ultrasonic cleaned and spray patterns adjusted for £60 fixed problem! No more light I would get your injectors cleaned next.

Rich
Old 06-21-2012, 11:00 AM

Hi
Still have not sorted this problem .Light still comes on after about 250 miles---

Moved things around but still getting the missfire

S2000_FUN--THIS WAS YOUR COMMENT PREVIOUSLY. What did you mean when you said "After that i do not want to say because i might scare you" as I think I am about to be scared,could you please let me know what your next thought was
Thanks
Steve

Steve if the engine light still comes on after the plug replacement on cyl 2 then the next thing to do is to swap and the injector. It might be that creating the problem. After that i do not want to say because i might scare you Please report back what happened finally

Chris
Old 06-21-2012, 11:51 AM

Have you tried swapping the injectors with another member or something mate? I would put money on it being that!

Quick Reply: Missfire