UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Misfire driving me crazy!! HELP!!!

Old 10-19-2003, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire driving me crazy!! HELP!!!

Hi all,

Had a bit of a misfire in the VTEC zone over a year ago. Had the plug recall and this fixed it for about 9 months. The problem has been slowly coming back over the last 3 months or so. The symptoms feel like the car is running on 3 cylinders when in the VTEC zone. This got worse and worse over the last month, until the car was running like that tru the whole rev range, and sometimes cutting out on idle.
Anyway, took it in for its 45k service and informed the dealers. They ran a diagnostic and no fault codes came up. After an ecu reset, all was well for about a week and now its doing it again intermittently. I have the Honda care warranty extended on my car so thats something. But until the dealer sees it happening (sod law it doesnt when it goes in for a check) theres nothing they can do for me. This is driving me mad, any suggestions at all???
Really appreciate some advice.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:27 PM

Baptist

It might not have anything to do with it but.....unscrew the MAP sensor and disconnect it. (Its on the RHS at the top of the manifold - its blue with MAP sensor written on it - about 1/2 " square).

Take it out and tap it sharply with he plastic handle of a screwdriver. Pop it back in and see what happens.

I had intermittent juddering through Vtec and this cured it....I've never had it stall on me though.

Worth a try anyway...good luck
Old 10-20-2003, 12:20 AM

failing this - try another dealer
Old 10-20-2003, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is miss firing, you usually get a code straight away. Since the plug recall affected this last time, why not pull the plugs and check them as a first step?

-Brian.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:26 AM

Took the map sensor off and gave it a tap, no hesitation for 5 days now, and the car is running alot smoother, hope this has fixed it, think it has! Thanks alot guys.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:24 AM

Well done Baptist...delighted it worked

I was very sceptical at the time but it sorted mine out.

Its a good little tip that one. I advised my dealer for future reference and they said they had never heard of that cure.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:12 PM

Hmm strange thing happend to me recently - thought I would take the baby for a spin - second gear got to about 5k rev suddenly dropped back to idle with a jolt - freightend to try again, so took it easy on second 3rd was fine. Wonder if the above solution may help - may just try it out (mine is a MY03).
Old 10-24-2003, 02:17 AM

i had a mis-fire, low compression, then emissions.....or was it Honda Cambridge giving lots of different answers. Anyway it was solved by replaced of all valves, big job, cost Honda UK loads.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

scollops, there's a second rev limiter around 6,000rpm that cuts in when the engine isn't up to temperature. It's possible you just ran into that, then were up to temp when you tried in 3rd.

-Brian.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:13 PM

bmarshall - cheers for the info, I was leaning towards this possible idea as it was a told cold - but thought I would ask to make sure - tried again on a warm run, all appears hunky dorey (touch wood) thanks for the heads up on the rev info.

Quick Reply: Misfire driving me crazy!! HELP!!!