UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Mis shifting at high rpm

Old 07-07-2003, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mis shifting at high rpm

Went out for a 3 hour long drive yesterday - weather was great - top down - beautiful breeze.

I decided to accelerate away from a traffic light, redlined first and then it wouldn't go into second - made the grinding sound - it was horrid.

The first thing that came to mind was - oh shit I need a new gearbox. But then I tried again - and it went in very fast and smoothly.

Later in the day I was accelerating away from a light and second again wouldn't go in. I then tried again and again and I couldn't repeat it.

Am I just mis shifting or do I need to get the gearbox looked at?

This happened twice yesterday but I couldn't repeat it when I wanted - I think I wasn't concentrating on pushing the clutch right down or I was letting the cutch out too fast.

My question to you guys - do you ever mis shift or have trouble getting in gear whilst the people carrier next to you whizzes off into the distance!
Old 07-07-2003, 01:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe this is the start of `that gearbox issue`....

oh dear.

Mark Turner has first hand of this...
Old 07-07-2003, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by cheshire_carper
I believe this is the start of `that gearbox issue`....

oh dear.

Mark Turner has first hand of this...
Oh man - you aren't bull shitting me are ya? I mean it never happens regularly - only yesterday.

Somebody else comment on this apart from CC - he's gonna give me a heart attack!
Old 07-07-2003, 01:12 AM

AB, my problem was similar, but limited to fifth gear.

The first I knew about it was on New Years Eve, heading home from Jenny's house in Manchester on the M62 when I noticed that it was difficult to get the car into and out of fifth gear. Not impossible, but it felt very very notchy and it really had to be forced.

Over the next couple of months, it got progressively worse. Not a real problem as I just avoided fifth gear. Of course, that isn't going to work for you in second...... Anyway, I eventually got around to taking it into the dealer. They called me within an hour of me dropping it off to say that the gearbox needed changing as the synchromesh had collapsed on fifth gear. Gearbox was ordered and duly arrived the next day, and was replaced under warranty.

It may not be the same thing, but best to get it in and have it looked at sooner rather than later. I know I'm not the only one to have had this problem with the synchromesh.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Amuse Boy

Oh man - you aren't bull shitting me are ya? I mean it never happens regularly - only yesterday.

Somebody else comment on this apart from CC - he's gonna give me a heart attack!
I wish I wasn`t matey. What mileage are you on? I`m SURE this is a Sync issue. As MT says, get it sorted.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:17 AM

I had the same 5th gear problem.

They stripped down and fixed the gearbox. Probably been quicker and cheaper to bung a new one in but the mechanic is one of Honda's better ones and I guess they need to look at it properly for future reference.

Been fine ever since.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:17 AM

Thanks MT - the thing is the gearbox is really smooth apart from the two mis shifts yesterday.

I don't find the gears difficult to put in at all.

It all happened so fast - both times I wasn't concentrating - both times I was playing to a crowd! Me stupidly showing off and not depressing the clutch fully.

On the way home I tried 7 or 8 traffic light launches - 1st to 2nd redline - not a problem at all - apart from the fuel guage lights going out!

I;m gonna take her out tonight and check it again and see if it happens again. If it happens once more - I'll take her in to get the once over. But I bet it's my bad shifting!
Old 07-07-2003, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by cheshire_carper

I wish I wasn`t matey. What mileage are you on? I`m SURE this is a Sync issue. As MT says, get it sorted.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:19 AM

The only time I mis shift is from 1st - 2 nd @8,000 rpm.
it doesnt happen all the time. not sure whether its me or the car
would probably think that it was me not concentrating enough.

warren
Old 07-07-2003, 01:22 AM

I'm fairly sure that my box is on the way out.

I often get the 1st-2nd gear problem if I'm accelerating hard, and it

Quick Reply: Mis shifting at high rpm