UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Minor Bump in the S - What to do??

Old 10-28-2003, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor Bump in the S - What to do??

Hello

The Girlfriend has managed to bump the back of a ford Focus whilst at a roundabout......usual problem.....Emma was edging forward looking at oncoming traffic and the car in front stopped suddenly emma had a bumper to bumper knock.

They were going parking speeds 3/4 MPH.

i have checked all over the S and can see no damage or change in the panel joins that would indicate that anything has been affected. I have a hairline fracture in the number plate.

They exchanged details and their insurance company has been in contact. Emma wisely did not give any details until we have written report on the damage.

She knows it's her fault and we will gladly pay for any damage caused...but that's my problem... I don't think that any damage has been caused. Emma inspected the Focus and there was no dent or scratch not even any scuffing.....sounds as though the bumper deformed and reformed as they are supposed to.

What should we do. A claim will really impact our insurance and no claims...I'd rather settle direct.

My biggest concern is that the garage requested to do the work will scam a report and we will get stung. What comeback do we have??

Please help... a very Beno
Old 10-28-2003, 01:49 AM

It is times like this when you need a camera phone so you can take some snaps at the time of the incident. (I've seen quite a few prangs on the M25 and people have taken pics with their phone)

Can't you speak to your insurance company and request they look at the Focus too? I'm sure they're not keen on paying out money for nothing.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:07 AM

Camera phones are rubbish in low light conditions. I invested a few quid in a couple of disposable cameras with flash to keep in my cars, just in case. Sorry this doesn't help answer the original question though.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:31 AM

Sorry about that mate. As a partner driver I know the pit falls of driving an S2000 that belongs to someone else. As for the insurance ..... 2nd opinion is vital and the sooner the better ... As UK_S2000 says ask your insurance comp to inspect the car also !!!!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 03:17 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Fortunately, blow-moulded bumpers tend to take it very well.

It used to be a standard hatchback problem - It'd look perfect, you'd drive off & later find the hatch wouldn't open because the boot floor was pushed forward 2"!

The downside is, they're colour coded. A scratch means a respray & mismatched paint.

Personally, I'd therefore rather touch in a scratch rather than repaint the whole bumper.

It therefore depends whether the guy your gf hit is reasonable or not, as well as possible invisible damage.

In other words, it could be nothing or a lot.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:44 AM

out of interest, does anyone know what sort of price would be charged for a bumper respray?
Old 10-28-2003, 04:42 AM
Xd

Depends if you go through Honda, I have been quoted
Old 10-28-2003, 04:48 AM

A front bumper respray can't be that bad - my dealer did mine for free after we had a disagreement about who caused the gouges on the bottom lip.

I don't know if you have considered this, but there may be the spurious whiplash claim to come from the car you hit - depends on whether he/she is honest or not.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:33 AM

I can't believe that no damage was done to the S and potentially
Old 10-28-2003, 07:37 AM

I was rear ended once and had bad whip lash but the guy took me at 30mph or more while I was stationary

Quick Reply: Minor Bump in the S - What to do??