UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Mileage

Old 07-22-2004, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has done just 16,000. Was starting to worry about the long term ownership thing. But all faith has been restored reading this thread
Old 07-22-2004, 03:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

67000 and still going strong!
Old 07-22-2004, 03:50 PM

If I do a comparison to last year:

Last year Januray I bought a brand new 318CI BMW. Covered 24,000 miles in a year. Needed an inspection I and inspection II cost around
Old 07-23-2004, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had replace the timing chain, timing chain tensioner, timing chain tensioner guide, oil pump chain, oil pump chain tensioner, oil pump chain guide, and oil pump on mine recently.... after just under 55k. The muppets @ Honda didn't consider the problem noise to be an issue - even after comparing the car to 3 other S2000s. It wasn't helped by the standard of valve adjustment in general on S2000's - my engine was a lot quieter than two of the other S2000's even with timing chain problems. I don't doubt there are a lot more S2000's out there with the same problem, that aren't aware of it as they don't recognise the sound. I plan for my engine to have a very long life, so wasn't going to leave a problem as major as that.

Also, needed to replace the differential output shaft bearings, as they'd had it by the same mileage.

Several suspension bolts needed replacement, due to corrosion. Honda doesn't grease the bolts from the factory, so they tend to corrode together.... robbing the car of suspension adjustment. At the same time, replaced the suspension bushes (also well past their best), anti roll bar links (corrosion... coupled with poor design.), differential breather (it'd failed.), and a few other bits.

While the S2000's doesn't fall apart with miles, there are areas that will need attention as the miles go on, and could be expensive to put right.

-Brian.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:09 AM
GSi

Engine Block - Warranty @ about 20k
Clutch - Warranty @ about 35k

Usual parts, pads etc
Old 07-23-2004, 01:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

44k on mine now and no real problems (I've currently got the "rear hub popping noise" but I'm hoping fitting new rear hub nuts to a higher torque will cure this - this is the only thing though in 8,000 enjoyable miles so far). The car is surprising cheap to run on servicing and maintenace costs (and it does 28.5mpg when driven at "normal traffic speed") but with the exception of tyres. I think you need to budget about 4p per mile for tyres (16,000 miles will use up 4 rears and 2 fronts - with mixed fast/commuting driving - about
Old 07-23-2004, 01:42 AM

It seems that the s2000 clutch/gear box is a common part to go wrong. Is their any thing you can do to stop/delay it going?

stop V-tecing is not an option!
Old 07-23-2004, 02:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by little Chris,Jul 23 2004, 09:42 AM
It seems that the s2000 clutch/gear box is a common part to go wrong. Is their any thing you can do to stop/delay it going?

stop V-tecing is not an option!
Buy an extended warranty and quit worrying about it!
Old 07-23-2004, 03:04 AM

Clutches go on all cars, it's a wear and tear item and the S2000 clutch price is par for the course on a performance car. Try pricing up a TVR clutch with fitting.

Providing your car has FHSH and is not modified, the extended warranty should cover pretty much all engine and gearbox failures.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Turtle,Jul 23 2004, 09:03 AM
Had replace the timing chain, timing chain tensioner, timing chain tensioner guide, oil pump chain, oil pump chain tensioner, oil pump chain guide, and oil pump on mine recently.... after just under 55k. The muppets @ Honda didn't consider the problem noise to be an issue - even after comparing the car to 3 other S2000s. It wasn't helped by the standard of valve adjustment in general on S2000's - my engine was a lot quieter than two of the other S2000's even with timing chain problems. I don't doubt there are a lot more S2000's out there with the same problem, that aren't aware of it as they don't recognise the sound. I plan for my engine to have a very long life, so wasn't going to leave a problem as major as that.

Also, needed to replace the differential output shaft bearings, as they'd had it by the same mileage.

Several suspension bolts needed replacement, due to corrosion. Honda doesn't grease the bolts from the factory, so they tend to corrode together.... robbing the car of suspension adjustment. At the same time, replaced the suspension bushes (also well past their best), anti roll bar links (corrosion... coupled with poor design.), differential breather (it'd failed.), and a few other bits.

While the S2000's doesn't fall apart with miles, there are areas that will need attention as the miles go on, and could be expensive to put right.

-Brian.
Whilst I agree with Brian that he seems to have had a particularly badly assembled S2000. There are two things that you should bear in mind when you read this post.

1. From talking to Brian I think it's safe to assume that he's a perfectionist when it comes to his cars. He also seems to be an accomplished mechanic, and expects the same level of professionalism from the Honda mechanics(monkeys) who service his car. I'm 99% sure I couldn't recognise half the problems that he has had on his car, and wouldn't report them to the dealer.

2. I'm pretty sure that Brian's car is driven pretty hard (as it should be ) but this has to have an effect on clutches, bearings, dampers, etc etc.

Quick Reply: Mileage