UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Mike's NFR GT

Old 08-04-2013 | 11:38 PM

That bracket will be rusted to hell - from memory there are 3 brackets, one long one and 2 short ones. The short ones are about 25 quid IIRC. If it was me, i'd remove the bumper and get a bodyshop to permanently fix the plate surround to the main bumper.

Oh and when you remove the bumper, you'll find the gravel trap
Old 08-05-2013 | 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by GiffS2K
Question for camera folk, why do red cars look maroon in certain light?

I'm having the same problem:
Or pink.

Nothing worse than washing your car, admiring it, snapping a pic to pop on facebook, and finding out it only looked red on your phones AMOLED screen, but on a normal computer monitor it's candy pink.
Old 08-05-2013 | 01:46 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Kanmuri-san
Discovered the rear licence plate surround is coming loose on the left side - you can make it move it up and down.

I read here, to investigate I have to take the bumper off and check the brackets holding the surround. Has anyone come across this problem before?

Lastly would you think the warranty that I got from the dealer would cover fixing this?

Thanks
Try the warranty route first. This is what we did to my plate holder to get rid of the gravel... Sadly, the tape hasn't held perfectly. I need to find a better solution.
Old 08-05-2013 | 02:25 AM

Thanks UF.

Will take the bumper off and have a look. People's instruction on the forum look simple enough for a newb. £25 each? Sounds hefty. Probably cheaper and easier to bracket and use some adhesive
Old 08-05-2013 | 02:30 AM

Tried the warranty route, Trimmings is not covered on the warranty unfortunately. So I'm looking forward to get my hands dirty and learn something new about the car. Be good to get some free stones too lol

Ken, let me know what solution you end up using to hold the surround.
Old 08-05-2013 | 04:47 AM

Tried the warranty route, Trimmings is not covered on the warranty unfortunately. So I'm looking forward to get my hands dirty and learn something new about the car. Be good to get some free stones too lol

Ken, let me know what solution you end up using to hold the surround.
If it falls off then obviously won't pass an MOT and the sales of goods act is your friend. Warranty isn't your only protection when buying from a regulated trader.

It would be clear from the corrosion that the fault pre-dated purchase.

But it would need to not be fit for purpose so while it's in place and fit to pass an MOT you can't argue that.
Old 08-06-2013 | 12:52 AM

It passed the MOT prior purchasing the car. I know what you mean, not much you can argue with really. Not checked the brackets probably this weekend.

Noticed another thing on Sunday, when I put the car into First; you feel and hear a clunk under your seat as if the car's gearbox selects the gears. Am I suppose to hear and feel the gearbox slotting in gear? I don't remember feel/hear it for other gears; when the car is stationary, definitely not while moving. But will look at it when I get back from work.
Old 08-06-2013 | 02:24 AM

It passed the MOT prior purchasing the car. I know what you mean, not much you can argue with really. Not checked the brackets probably this weekend.

Noticed another thing on Sunday, when I put the car into First; you feel and hear a clunk under your seat as if the car's gearbox selects the gears. Am I suppose to hear and feel the gearbox slotting in gear? I don't remember feel/hear it for other gears; when the car is stationary, definitely not while moving. But will look at it when I get back from work.
Doesn't matter, the sales of goods act means it has to be fit for purpose and you can pursue them through small claims for up to six years. Within the first six months the law sides with you the customer that the fault existed before purchase unless they can prove otherwise (oh and this covers everything right down to the clutch) which given the rusted state the mounts will be in is clear were at fault pre-purchase.

So if the plate were say to fall off within your first 6 months of ownership, it would no longer be road worthy even if it did pass it's MOT a while back and thus not fit for purpose under the sales of goods act.

Of course while it stays in place it will still pass an MOT. Don't let a dealer fob you off with something not being under warranty when you have a genuine fault though, the warranty is a product they sell with the car, they are still liable for the car they sold though.

And that's normal with the gearbox, hold the clutch in for a second or so before changing gear and you won't hear it.
Old 08-06-2013 | 05:31 AM

Thanks Philip. That's very insightful. Never knew the Sales of Good Act is so powerful. Will definitely confirm whether the bracket is in a bad state this weekend.

Re: Gearbox. That's good to hear that's its normal. Thanks for your advices.
Old 08-10-2013 | 06:31 AM

Took the rear bumper off today. Was easier than I thought it would be. Thought I share what's needed to take the bumper for all the other newbies out there and show what's behind the rear bumper

First get the clips off. The bottom ones were a PITA to get out, had to use a bit of force and end up breaking one.

Then unscrew two screws as highlighted with the arrow and small circle. The bumper clips on the top of long black bar. You would need to use a little small force to take the bumper sides from here - do this for both sides.

When you got the bumper loose, watch out for the rear plate light wires, just unclip them from the right side. You'll end up with this:

As Unclefester said, two short and one long bracket:

Personally I think this one of the rubbish designs from Honda. Can't understand why the number plate plinth had to be separate and not "as one" with bumper. Surely it would save weight to have it molded to the bumper.

The bracket was rusted like hell and bent.

Placed it on the floor and stepped on it and voila, then screw it back on.

Cleaned all (if possible) the dirt from the surrounding rear areas before putting it back the bumper and follow the above in reverse order

Quick Reply: Mike's NFR GT