UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

the mighty A44 Hereford to Rhyader

Old 07-16-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default the mighty A44 Hereford to Rhyader

Done this a few times, probably to many but what the hell? your in a 2000 for Christ sake!

Leaving Hereford on the A438....headed for Kington.
At Kington you pick up the mighty A44 and then things really start to get fun. Within a few miles of fast swervery, you hit the mile-long New Radnor straight where you will be tempted to play drag racers before hitting a series of equally well-surfaced sweepers as you head up into the Radnor Hills. Be warned though, the rozzers have been known to sit around New Radnor with radar guns.

There is a problematic set of malevolent, Armco-clad bends descending these hills three miles later, some of which tighten up t'other side of a blanket of trees, but the cambers are in order and if you watch your apexes you'll be alright. A little further on you cross a cattle grid where dumb sheep wander into the road as if they own the place. Cool it until you're over the other grid and out of Penybont and you won't be murdering my future girlfriend. The circuit around the Elan valley dams is worth a look too, there is a collection of hairpin bends but to meet them you'll need to either take the reverse route of the dams or go down and turn around (going down first gives you an idea of view for the return up) seriously, some of the stretches are brilliant with little or no traffic.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with the Elan Valley

Me and mates had a 700 mile roadtrip around Wales a couple of weeks back, and spent the best part of a day going around the Elan Valley - great roads and great photo opportunities.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience of these areas is equally pleasing. A group of us make an annual trip over to Wales to have a week of driving around and exploring. We stayed very close to Rhyader this year and spent a bit of time looking round the elan valley (albeit a wet & windy time!) Being so close to the brecon beacons was very nice too.

If you're in the Elan valley, i strongly recommend you drive up out of the valley (we started at the visitor centre end) and take the mountain road towards Aberystwyth. The scenery is stunning and you'll pass by Devils Bridge water falls. There's a tea room about 100 yds up the road with ample parking and for £1 you can go down into the gorge and get a great close up view of tha falls under the bridge. Only a small attraction but very impressive, especially as we went the day after 36 hours solid rain. The power of the water is amazing!
Old 07-17-2015, 04:33 AM

Elan and the reservoirs to the North have some superb routes (my current favourites and well above the EVO triangle)
Thursday last week I did 300 miles round them, saw a handful of cars and got a roadster sun tan

Jaffa in Elan Valley 015 by mikey k V8VR, on Flickr

Jaffa in Elan Valley 009 by mikey k V8VR, on Flickr
Old 07-17-2015, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k
Elan and the reservoirs to the North have some superb routes (my current favourites and well above the EVO triangle)
Thursday last week I did 300 miles round them, saw a handful of cars and got a roadster sun tan
There are many rouds i'd rate above the Evo triangle, we did it once on our first trip to Wales and it was a thorough let down! Another internet legend that doesn't live up to the hype in my opinion.

Elan valley and surrounding areas is generally a really nice place to be
Old 07-17-2015, 07:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always been grateful for the evo triangle, stelvio etc... They keep the other much better roads quiet
Old 07-17-2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by soupdragon
I've always been grateful for the evo triangle, stelvio etc... They keep the other much better roads quiet
Amen to that
Old 07-17-2015, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Evo triangle is great when it's quiet. Unfortunately at weekends and evenings it's full of idiots.

The route in the OP isn't all too far from me, may take a drive up tomorrow if the weather is nice, I've nothing else planned and some of the roads between Gloucester and Hereford are good fun.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Try the B4355 from knighton to dolfour then go down the A483 to crossgates and run back along the A44 (lovely railway bridge by knucklas !!!!!)
Old 07-17-2015, 08:33 AM

All those roads are close to me, it's easy to lose an afternoon and put 100+ miles on the car!

Quick Reply: the mighty A44 Hereford to Rhyader