UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

MEET: Northumberland & Scottish Borders Drive - 15th & 16th May 2004

Old 02-29-2004, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop Press: Full route now available. PM me if you would like to peruse a copy

Intro

This will be a two day meet/drive starting on 15th May in East Cumbria and heading on to the North East coast just South of the Border. After an overnight stop we'll be heading in to the Scottish Borders on Sunday 16th.

You're welcome to come along for all or some of the drive. I will have some scheduled stops to allow others to join during the day.

I'll be including a few interesting landmarks, castles etc, to keep the drive interesting for the passengers and those of you who don't know Northumberland.

For those of you who have sold this trip to the wife/gf under the premise of this being a romantic weekend break, we will also have a slower paced group at the back with full directions and plenty of places to catch up, for partners that don't like to be driven too fast. Bless em (BTW I will probably be in this group for some of the time and I'll have someone else who can lead the group)

The Pics!

The Route Plan

Please PM me for a detailed route plan, as I will not be broadcasting it on the public site.

Day 1
We will be starting in Penrith near the M6, then heading up through some of the finest roads Northumberland has to offer. Stopping off along the Roman wall we'll then head North East finishing up in a picturesque village on the coast next to some great, quiet, unspoiled beaches.

Day 2
This will be lead by Eibutler as we head up into Scotland for the usual stunning views, fords and quiet roads. We will be heading from East to West, finishing the day at Abington services. For anyone wanting to leave the drive early to get back down South, there will be a stop off point 97 miles into day 2 which is close to Lockerbie on the M74 - which turns into the M6 when you cross the border.

Accomodation

I have organised a certain number of rooms which you can book in the village for the Saturday night. Prices are as follows

B&B
Old 02-29-2004, 12:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just tell me when and I'll be there.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:08 PM

May - at the moment I think I can make 1/2nd & 15/16th.

But my advice would be just to pick a date that suits yourself, and go for it.

Dave
Old 02-29-2004, 01:13 PM

You don't need to ask if I will be interested Neil

Unfortunately, early May I won't be able to make it , but if you want any help with "technical research" north of the border, let me know

I have been meaning to check out some roads between the A68 and A1, from Northumberland up to Duns, for future meets, as I don't know this part of the country - the central and western scottish Borders seem better on the map, but I need to check out the east side in the flesh. I may do this over the next few weekends - working this weekend sadly
Old 02-29-2004, 01:28 PM

Bank holiday is out and would be too busy anyway

I reckon last weekend in April or second/third weekend in May. I don't know if planning it too close to SM5 will make any difference. I'll wait and see the reaction.

Originally posted by euan
I have been meaning to check out some roads between the A68 and A1, from Northumberland up to Duns, for future meets, as I don't know this part of the country - the central and western scottish Borders seem better on the map, but I need to check out the east side in the flesh. I may do this over the next few weekends - working this weekend sadly
We could try and meet up if you want Euan. I was going to go out and start looking for some routes soon anyway.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Woo Hoo, a Meet Recce Meet.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by neil_s2k
We could try and meet up if you want Euan. I was going to go out and start looking for some routes soon anyway.

Sounds good Neil - I'll be in touch - ( trying to get new front tyres this saturday though).

{ EDIT : myself and the other scot mini/micro meet rabble will be in touch }
Old 02-29-2004, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd be up for it but later in the year for me
Old 02-29-2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by AquilaEagle
I'd be up for it but later in the year for me

I'm sure there will be more Ian - we have been a bit remiss in neglecting the eastern scottish borders on scotmeets thus far, but with Neil and a few others just the other side of Hadrian's Wall we shall be making amends this year
Old 02-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice one - Mid June - July

Quick Reply: MEET: Northumberland & Scottish Borders Drive - 15th & 16th May 2004