UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

MB's modification thread...

Old 06-13-2010, 04:59 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You were too quick for me MB

Chris.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the EDFC for the rebound goes on the bottom?
Not a great enviroment for electronics
MB how did you find getting the EDFC actuator on top the passenger side rear with the fule filler arrangement in the way?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:09 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey k,Jun 13 2010, 02:04 PM
So the EDFC for the rebound goes on the bottom?
Yes

Chris.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:12 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

On mine it goes on the top as mine are top bump / rebound combined.

But if you go for 2 way, you can put the EDFC top and bottom if required. They have rubber caps on them. Remember there's ABS and other gubbins under the car.

I've not fitted them yet, but according to this guide it looks as though it will go.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=440542
Old 06-13-2010, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MB,Jun 13 2010, 01:07 PM
About £450 mr loon.

ODM, the top adjusters on the suspension are really easy to adjust for the fronts, as the knobs are on top of the turrets. The rear drivers side needs the spare wheel out, and the rear passenger side is just about reachable if you remove the rear trim and get your fingers under the fuel pipe.

But you are correct, the beauty of it is that you can just choose the setting from the digital controller kept in the front, and actually adjust it for the conditions. ie if it's pissing down you want it a bit softer. I found last time a I was at Spa, tweaking the Lotus suspension (top and bottom) was a 15 minute exercise, and then you had to turn them back to soft for the journey home. With these it's all just a click of a button on the EDFC The same stands for road use, as per your example. Like I say, it's all a nice to have gizmo and i've survived thus far just doing it in the garage which takes 5 mins.

The install isn't too hard, the tricky bit is running th cables into the cabin, and finding a live / earth. I will probably have a go at it this weekend.

I bought the whole lot new and unused from a nice chap on here Bargain.
Bargain at £1k.

Yep, just the convenience of being able to adjust from the cockpit I imagine would mean you are more likley to experiment with settings and obviously would be more inclined as you say to dial up a setting on road on the spur of the moment; ie, you are more likley to get more use from the adjustable dampers.

After my recent Loti experience I'm weighing up pro's and cons of keeing the S, if I do then I'll be doing a milder version of what you have just done and the EDFC seems like a really nice idea that'll mean I'm far more likley to use the adjustability simply because it would be so easy.

Are the small motors that you plonk onto the top of the damper fairly solid? Are they light? Are you planning to rip the stereo unit out to mount the controller?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:27 AM
MB

They are pretty solid beasts, as they have actuators inside them.

I will mount the controller either in the centre console or the centre cabinet thing. Either that or velcro it to something
Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you considered fitting an after market throttle body?

After discussing this with Chris I had a look on the US forum and the general consensus is that there are no power gains to be had by fitting one unless the car is FI or aggressive cams are fitted.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:15 PM

waste of time and money the TB

MB the car is looking good buddie happy days
Old 06-13-2010, 10:53 PM

Might you be tempted as some stage to add NA power by stroking the motor MB? or would you just go the SC route at that point?

You've certainly made some nice modifications for a car that will spend time on both the road and track. Retaining the stock look for road but with all the right bits for the circuit.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:35 PM
MB

Thanks Chaps.

Loon, I would be tempted by a J's TB if one came up, only for the throttle response.

Phil, ta, hope yours is all mended now?

ODM, if the engine goes pop, it will be getting some internal attention in the form of cams or maybe stroking. I like the 9k rev limit though, so strokers put me off a little. I'd love a 300 bhp J's crate engine but that might be a bit extreme.

I suspect at some point a Rotrex (it's the best imo) will end up on the car, but i'd like to try one first as the throttle response would have to be as good as it is now or it would spoil it. The only other issue I have that the cooling side of things would need a look then, as you are adding a lot more power, thus heat, and also taking some of the cooling capacity out with the SC aftercooler.

I suspect it's going to be quick enough as it is though. As a road car it really does fly now, and it pulls so much harder from 2.5k which makes it so nice to drive. I guess the weight loss helps too. It does remind me of the iVtec in the DC5 - very torquey low down. The ECU is performing extremely well, no idle or starting issues which is nice

Quick Reply: MB's modification thread...