UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

MB's modification thread...

Old 03-14-2010, 03:30 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I cna compare Spa times, AJ, as i'm pretty consistent round there. Will be very interesting indeed!

While I don't think it will be as good as the Exige, it's the more practical alternative which I wanted, and still fun. We shall see!

I got your PM about the 5zigen, it's just difficult telling someones view on loud without hearing one. I really don't want anything louder than stock
Old 03-14-2010, 03:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think an exige is hard to beat though

The 5zigen has 0 drone between 3-4 rpm, has a slight hum under 3k rpm and then gets slightly louder in vtec but not that loud really.

I'd compare it to a mugen really.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:04 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

This might be a daft question but seeing as i know SFA about the ECU or tuning the S2000, can you log and tune the OEM ECU for intake / exhaust mods or just tweak it to iron out any issues? I'm starting to think this might be a worthwhile investment.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:07 AM
MB

Flashpro can be used on the OEM EUC for the later cars, UF, but IIRC this is 06 onwards. Before that there is no option available.

I have a fully programmable AEM EMS, so the Honda ECU is completely removed.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:09 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Right - that makes complete sense. I won't worry about it on mine but the difference on yours is more than I thought was possible without spending a fair bit more!
Old 03-14-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the AEM ems put on to my s2k by mase today got 209.6 hp...!!

Mods: T1R decate, T1R 63 V2 single exhaust
Old 03-14-2010, 11:33 PM

MB - loving this thread, the cars really taking shape ! I'd really appreciate getting a passenger lap or two at some point if thats possible?

Interesting thing for you to compare on that graph of yours. Your making at the wheels at 6.5k ish what some cars make stock peak. The great thing with the S2000 is how it holds the power for so far up the rev range... you should be noticeably quicker now I'd imagine with great response. Tempted to get lightweight pulleys and flywheel to increase response further?

I wouldn't be so sure about the s2000 being that far behind your exige. I've had plenty of run ins with 111r's and exige of both the N/A 190 and 240 SC variety at Bedford. 240's are about 4 seconds quicker round there than me, but they have cut slicks which I would argue counts for a lot, and I'm absolutely bone stock power wise.

I know with that your not comparing like with like, and Bedford isn't the best track to compare those cars, but I recon you still stand a chance !

Shorter final drive on the cards? seems to offer another great improvement !
Old 03-15-2010, 12:15 AM

Cheers for that AJ, all makes good sense.

So as Gaspode says, if breathing mods are added then a remap is pretty much essential to be certain you arent going to damage the motor?

Pardon my lack of knowledge but are we talking only the intake side here? Ie, map only needs tweaking with intake mods that affect the AFR or does the exhaust side also have some effect here? I note that Mark suggests that changing the exhaust wont affect things?

That probably seems like a daft question actually when I think about it as the exhaust system is obviously after the whole combustion part of the deal and so likley isnt that relevant?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 AM
MB

ODM, it really depends what intake you are putting on, but an intake alone is unlikely to affect the AFR enough to make it lean out. Like I said, it's a combination thing but sinlge mods will not harm the car. If you modify the intake side, and do a manifold and decat you will get what I had - badly lean.

A remap is not essential unless you know you are running lean. You can modify, take it to a dyno and get it checked first.

The exhaust can be relevant especially as it's after the combustion as it's all about back pressure. The more free flowing things are in and out, the less chance the ECU can keep up. In the case of the S2000, the OEM exhaust (after car back) is free flowing enough that changing it to an aftermarket system will not do much for imporving flow. People generally do it for weight and noise. The slight exception to this would be a single pipe - as they do offer more power as it's a more direct route for exhasut gas to escape. As you can see by the power Luke is getting above. On other cars, it can make a difference tot he AFR, so it depends. It's all about resistance
Old 03-15-2010, 12:27 AM
MB

Conanius, glad you are enjoying it

Yep the car is driving great and pulls very hard from the new lower VTEC. The area under peak really makes a difference, and I can change at 8500 ish (where power tails off anyway) and get right into the think part of the power band.

Also look at the torque mine is pulling - much better.

Pulleys is tempting! But the flywheel will stay until it breaks.

Just going back to the Exige, mine had 250bhp and Ohlins, so it was just a rocket ship (see some of the vids as an example) The S just won't be able to compete - the weight kills it.

I will be running R888 or AO48 like the Exige, so that will close the gap!

But either way, the intention was to get close to the Exige, but be a more practical car to travel in. It's working really well so far. I can still pop to the shops in it, where the Exige wasn't ideal for that

Quick Reply: MB's modification thread...