UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

MB's latest modification thread...

Old 06-13-2011, 01:59 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Arsie, it's in the plan Also building some fast growing hedges in the meatime

Joeh, no pink!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

LMFAO ... you want brown?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So fluffy is ok then ?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Thanks chaps, it drives like no S i've had before too!

Dixon has done a brilliant job with the geo, and the Nitrons combined with some downforce at the back (which you can feel!) is just great. Turn in is instant and grip is pretty huge. Can't wait to ge the Yokohama semi slicks on and start getting some track time.
I take it i cant buy your rear wing off you now Does it really make a difference?Are you going for a diffuser?and what might you be doing with the bonnet?I will PM you with my plans regarding a diffuser.The car looks good but I still say Lime Green wheels
Old 06-13-2011, 10:58 PM
MB

It's difficult to tell but I'm fairly sure the wing is working. It's a big old beast and has a lot of angle adjustment too.

Diffuser wise I'd like that Password JDM full undertray but the actual diffuser bit is a little OTT for me.

Downforce do one which 'looks' like it would work wells it goes quite far back towards the diff area and also covers the undersides of the bumper.

RE the bonnet, I will probably go back to an OEM one as they are reasonably light, but not sure yet as I do like the Top Secret one and it's pretty rare. I will get round to fitting the lightweight battery at some point too
Old 06-13-2011, 11:05 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

This might be a stupid suggestion .....

I assume Honda didn't design the underside of the car with a wind tunnel? Every Lotus i've crawled under has been flat underneath - smooth flat. Could you not just take a big sheet of thin aluminium and make a full length undertray?

Could you not make a scale model and a scale wind tunnel and design and build your own stuff? Out of interest, is there any way to measure spring compression at speed with your rear wing on? I.e. can you calculate the increase in downforce with something other than subjective feel?

Not picking faults, just interested in the maths behind it.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I noticed an increase in rear downforce with my Mugen wing .... just simply that on a road I drive regularly the rear end felt uncomfortably light on some fast bends, up a hill. With the Mugen wing it wasn't so bad, which meant I could go a bit quicker.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 AM
MB

UF, yep most modern fast stuff have flat undertrays, Loti, GTR, Ferrari etc. Honda won't have bothered on the S as it's not that type of car, and there are costs to think of. As it's just a track car, I wouldn't plan on wind tunneling anything. The Aluminium option is a good one, and Dixon has suggested he can make something in the past. It would work quite well I think, and be quite cheap. I thinkas long as I can feel the rear a bit more planted, i'm happy. If I was any good / racing i'd do something more scientific A simple measure would be an old method of some putty between the springs and measuring before and after with a vernier - comparing a straight high speed run with wing on / off. I've done this at work for other non motoring purposes There are far more scientific methods of measuring compression though.

I think my rear spring rates are high enough to take the extra downforce from a wing, but i'd be firming up the damping on the back for trackdays anyway.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:57 AM
MB

Last pic, a rare shot with the roof down - actually looking forward to some roof down today, for about 10 mins anyway...

Old 06-14-2011, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like that beast you have in the garage!

Quick Reply: MB's latest modification thread...