UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

master cylinder support bracket

Old 07-05-2010, 10:46 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Sti Vi,Jul 5 2010, 07:28 PM
Are you suggesting you don't respect my opinion then?

Sounds great coming from a mod

I repeat there is a difference, but is it worth 3 times the price, probably not. I have a Cusco Brace and if you respected my opinion you could probably try it to see for yourself. Just like Loftus most of the opinion on here is not based on any substance of trying the products, but everyone thinks they have an expert opinion.
That's not how it was intended at all, sorry for any confusion.

AFAIK you never owned Dixcels, and certainly never opined about them, is that correct?

If I were after some Mugen bits, you'd be high on my list of people to ask

You've still not provided any opinion as to a difference in feel between the two types of brace, despite being asked more than once, so I can only conclude there is none.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sti Vi,Jul 5 2010, 07:28 PM
Are you suggesting you don't respect my opinion then?

I repeat there is a difference, but is it worth 3 times the price, probably not. I have a Cusco Brace and if you respected my opinion you could probably try it to see for yourself.

You have failed to explain exactly how the Cusco is better than lower's brace?

I've seen the Cusco on 2 cars - there is a slight difference in the design the but they both do the same job.

Rich fixed the small design flaw in the second batch by using a larger headed bolt - the head of the bolt butts against the Master Cylinder thereby increasing the contact area
Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sti Vi,Jul 5 2010, 07:45 PM
So that means you don't have one fitted and you haven't been in a car with one fitted then.

Ok so I guess your opinion will be more accurate in this case

I have to say you do give the opinion that you think you have all the answers, I was considering a request to change my user name to 'Ask Loftus'
I have neither a Lower, Tegiwa or Cusco one fitted, but I do have one

I will admit that I probably come across like that. Better to give confident advice, rather than flimsy comments...not that I am for one second suggesting your comments here are 'limp'

Go for the forum name change...you could be an honorary member in my fan club
Old 07-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sti Vi,Jul 5 2010, 07:52 PM
But your not very cool
2 > 1

Would be good for Simon to try out the Cusco one too. More experiences of both, the better
Old 07-05-2010, 11:16 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Well, a quick search reveals no comments from you about Dixcels until July 2009, which was well after I got mine (I'll admit the search isn't the best so I may be wrong: https://www.s2ki.com/search/forums?query=di...forum=25&topic=

This thread was where I got the information about Dixcels and from whom: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=550813

No need to mail it, I can't be bothered with all the faffing about, especially when the physics says it's not worth it

Send it to Loftust, he's more mechanically minded than me, and can give an engineer's perspective.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:54 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

It's not that I don't want to, more I can't be bothered.

Of course, even if I did try it, would you accept my unbiased opinion if I pronounced the Lower version better, especially as you've tried both and couldn't tell any difference?

I repeat, you never mentioned anything about Dixcels on this forum until July 2009, a few months after I bought mine on the advice/recommendation of Lower, dembo and chilled, who I knew used them regularly and successfully on trackdays.

Did you use Dixcels on your old S2000?
Old 07-05-2010, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I can certainly give a comparison before and after I fitted my Lower brace. Before was good, after was still good but I could induce ABS in the dry much easier.

Simples.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Unsurprisingly, i've had both fitted. I've also measured deflection with both fitted. Properly adjusted, deflection was identical and limited by the strength of the brace itself.

The difference in feel between a properly fitted brace and no brace is substantial. Ultimate braking ability is unchanged with or without a brace fitted.

Both my version and the cusco are adjustable so you can vary the load applied to the back of the master cylinder before you even touch the brake pedal. With both designs you can apply enough force to actually bend the brace itself.

I didn't bother with the red disc thing that cucso used because my design was built to a smaller budget. But the net effect is the same.

The actual surface area of the red disc is not actually that much greater than the bolt head. The back of the master cylinder is more than strong enough to take the force applied through it without deforming around the bolt head or the red disc. So both systems do the same job.

The red disc on the cusco brace looks better than my bolt head. Both braces perform in exactly the same way. Mine was just a lot cheaper.

By the way, you can't just dismiss the physics. If you understood the physics as loftust and others do you'd understand why both braces perform exactly the same.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:17 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Thanks Rich, great summation from "The Maker"

Nothing more to say from me on this one.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lower,Jul 5 2010, 08:06 PM
Ultimate braking ability is unchanged with or without a brace fitted.

Quick Reply: master cylinder support bracket