UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

master cylinder support bracket

Old 07-05-2010, 09:26 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

I wonder if there's much of a difference in feel between the two?

Anyone had both fitted to their car?
Old 07-05-2010, 09:37 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

The Lower version can be adjusted for more force as well.

Could you tell any difference between the two cars?
Old 07-05-2010, 09:49 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Surely physics is all that counts here?

For starters, it's the master cylinder that applies pressure to the brace, not the other way around.

All the brace has to do is to stop the master cylinder moving, at least as far as I understand it, is that correct?

As for spending money, Dixcels hardly come cheap.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Jul 5 2010, 06:49 PM
Surely physics is all that counts here?

For starters, it's the master cylinder that applies pressure to the brace, not the other way around.

All the brace has to do is to stop the master cylinder moving, at least as far as I understand it, is that correct?

The master cylinder exerts the exact same amount of force onto the Cusco one as it does with the 'Lower' design...for the same amount of braking effort

All that is different with the Cusco one, is that the force is spread out over a greater area. This has no bearing on the ability to curtail the amount of movement whatsoever.

Cusco = Elephant

'Lower' / Tegiwa = Elephant in high heels
Old 07-05-2010, 10:08 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

I definitely felt a difference after fitting Lower's copy brace, if someone felt it wasn't quite up the cusco version why not have a washer welded to the bolthead to give a greater area of contact.?
Old 07-05-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sti Vi,Jul 5 2010, 06:59 PM
Simon I was surprised that you stumped up the cash on the Dixcels if I am honest. Since you now have the best brake set up, why skimp on the brace even if it only makes a minor difference? I believe two forces are required in this case, there is certainly a force applied from the Cusco Brace even before the Cylinder is moving although lets not get into physics.

With Loftus we apparently have an expert with all the answers on the forum, so lets all just go with the Lower one which was a very good effort and as I said at the beginning it could easily be modified to perform just as well
Agreed, it's a simple mod will only help the braking. If the 'Lower' design wasn't up to the job, then the brace or master cylinder would have bent, which they haven't, over tens of thousands of miles.

It's quite simple when you think about it really

Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sti Vi,Jul 5 2010, 11:37 AM
Something is wrong then, as it is quite easy to feel the difference when the bracxe is fitted. Try removing it and see if you notice the change
Pads make the difference not the brace.

I honestly don't rate this mod, especially for normal road use. This might be different on the track, but I'd concentrate on tyres and pads before wasting money on this brace.

Just my view
Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Sti Vi,Jul 5 2010, 06:59 PM
Simon I was surprised that you stumped up the cash on the Dixcels if I am honest. Since you now have the best brake set up, why skimp on the brace even if it only makes a minor difference? I believe two forces are required in this case, there is certainly a force applied from the Cusco Brace even before the Cylinder is moving although lets not get into physics.

With Loftus we apparently have an expert with all the answers on the forum, so lets all just go with the Lower one which was a very good effort and as I said at the beginning it could easily be modified to perform just as well
The force applied by both braces is only as much as the bolt/red bit is tightened up against the metal bit of the cylinder.

The key question, physics aside (even though the physics remains the most important thing), is whether anyone could tell the difference between the two. You're the only person posting who's experienced both and you aren't able to say, so I'd guess not.

As for the Dixcels, they were tested and said to be better by several people who's opinions I respect (chilled, lower and dembo). This is a key differencebetween the Dixcels and the brace.

Having had problems on track with the OEM set up, it was a pretty easy decision, and makes sense from a monetary point of view in terms of trackday time and pad longevity.

I bought the brace before the Dixcels, mostly because those whose opinions I respect (see above) suggested it, and it was only a few quid, at that stage I really had no idea what it was for
Old 07-05-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sti Vi,Jul 5 2010, 07:24 PM
but you have all the answers apparently so it doesn't matter

I contribute where my knowledge is helpful

FWIW, Dembo's Cusco brace did not fit flush with the strut tower, check the GB out

Lower sorted this problem out by refining his design. Therefore, IME, Lower Brace > Cusco.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sti Vi,Jul 5 2010, 07:28 PM
I repeat there is a difference, but is it worth 3 times the price, probably not. I have a Cusco Brace and if you respected my opinion you could probably try it to see for yourself. Just like Loftus most of the opinion on here is not based on any substance of trying the products, but everyone thinks they have an expert opinion.
My comments are based entirely on Physics, and a relatively sound understanding of the design.

Your comments, so far as I can see, are more opinionated, rather than based on facts and engineering comprehension as you are saying 'lets not get into the physics'.

It's ALL about Physics, otherwise there would be no need for the product. It is designed to transfer the force into the rest of the braking system, rather than exert it as movement in the cylinder.

Quick Reply: master cylinder support bracket