UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Manchester area; Car jacking.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're better in a beater.

That could be a sales slogan for Kia.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course its not all bad news...!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2005570094,00.html
Old 12-08-2005, 11:54 PM

Go to work and earn your own ****ing money, then buy your own car.

Scum like this should be hung. But no, when they're caught they'll get a slap on the wrist and sent to some project or other where they get to hoon around a track
Old 12-09-2005, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rapid 17,Dec 8 2005, 10:01 AM
The following was taken from the CTRO forum and is one of several separate posts in the last 2 or 3 months.

Hi Guys,

Its been a couple of rough months for me and my bird since we moved into our new house in a 'posh' area of south Manchester. And its all down to my beloved CTR.

Attempt 1: They tried to kick the front door down 3 weeks after we moved in but didn't get through.

Attempt 2: My Girlfriends parents were visiting. As My birds dad and I were walking from the car up the drive, two fellas jumped us, broke my ribs and smashed up my face and knocked my birds dads tooth out. They weren't wearing balaclavas and it was 7pm on a friday. The car hadn't been outside the house since the attempt three weeks earlier.

Police found the car down the road. Its staying with the police now for forensics and safekeeping until its sold. Its a shame.

My girl has sold her TT just because we are so scared in our new house.

I wanted to warn you all that there is a speight of it going on in South Manchester. Warn all Cooper S drivers, 05 Golf GTI drivers and A3 2.0 drivers. 6 have been jacked from our little area in the last 3 weeks!!!

You're at risk if you live in a city near dodgy areas. They haven't got far to come to find you and watch you. Sorry to scare you.

Just look around you as you go from your house to your car.

Lock your front doors and pull the bolts accross. These bolts are the only reason they didn't get into our house.

Take note of unfamiliar faces in your area. And watch for people following you as you drive about.

Take care out there folks : )
I think this guy has just been very unlucky. I've lived in South Manchester (probably a bit further out than this guy) most of my adult life. I don't know of anyone who has suffered this fate. He's just been very unlucky and is probably a little too close to some bad part of the city. Bizzarely these crimes are becoming more popular (from being unheard of) due to car security, I mean in the past your average scummer cold break in and hot wire the car.

Having said that, I'm working in High Wycombe at the moment and this area feels less than safe! A few times guys in cars have pulled up and hovered around when I've popped into the supermarket, you never know if they are admiring the car or trying to work out how to nick it!
Old 12-09-2005, 12:48 AM

You're more at risk in a 4 seater car as these make better getaway cars for robberies/ burglaries, that said I always keep my doors locked when driving around town.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:58 AM

With the roof down?
Old 12-09-2005, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by chilled,Dec 8 2005, 10:42 PM
While I hate to say it, we're not a target. CTR's are a big target, as there's a high demand for them. S2000's not so much demand.
Wouldn't say that was true if you ask me. Any car's a target, just depends whether the opportunity is there to take it.

Mankind's been doing this sort of thing for 1000's of years in one form or another. It will never change.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by grahamb,Dec 9 2005, 10:58 AM
With the roof down?
Yep, I reckon it's harder to pull someone out of a car with the door locked, even if the tops down!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by baptistsan,Dec 9 2005, 09:54 AM
But no, when they're caught they'll get a slap on the wrist and sent to some project or other where they get to hoon around a track
That's where the real frustration is and it drives me up the wall.

I strongly believe the punishment should fit the crime but what is often missed is the emotional attachment people have to items whether they be cars or other possesions. I am pretty confident we ALL love our respective S's as others love their cars and that is what makes these crimes so bad. They really are our "pride and joys" so why can that not be taken into account when they (or if they) catch these scumbags and adjust the crime accordingly?

I don't have kids (thank god) but I love my cars so why should that fact not be respected? This isn't a criticism of the law just a lack of knowledge on my part. Maybe one of the lawyers (or amateur Chesh ) can shed some light on this.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:25 AM

Manchester is quite known for this sort of thing nowadays. A mate of mine got car jacked in Longsight for his MK2 Golf Gti. Pulled a gun to his head. Anothor mate of mine had his Citreon C4 taken off him in the car park near work.

A bit back, Oldham went through a 2 month phase of twats breaking into ppls houses for their keys.

Not safe anywhere u go now.

Quick Reply: Manchester area; Car jacking.