UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Manchester area; Car jacking.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manchester area; Car jacking.

The following was taken from the CTRO forum and is one of several separate posts in the last 2 or 3 months.

Hi Guys,

Its been a couple of rough months for me and my bird since we moved into our new house in a 'posh' area of south Manchester. And its all down to my beloved CTR.

Attempt 1: They tried to kick the front door down 3 weeks after we moved in but didn't get through.

Attempt 2: My Girlfriends parents were visiting. As My birds dad and I were walking from the car up the drive, two fellas jumped us, broke my ribs and smashed up my face and knocked my birds dads tooth out. They weren't wearing balaclavas and it was 7pm on a friday. The car hadn't been outside the house since the attempt three weeks earlier.

Police found the car down the road. Its staying with the police now for forensics and safekeeping until its sold. Its a shame.

My girl has sold her TT just because we are so scared in our new house.

I wanted to warn you all that there is a speight of it going on in South Manchester. Warn all Cooper S drivers, 05 Golf GTI drivers and A3 2.0 drivers. 6 have been jacked from our little area in the last 3 weeks!!!

You're at risk if you live in a city near dodgy areas. They haven't got far to come to find you and watch you. Sorry to scare you.

Just look around you as you go from your house to your car.

Lock your front doors and pull the bolts accross. These bolts are the only reason they didn't get into our house.

Take note of unfamiliar faces in your area. And watch for people following you as you drive about.

Take care out there folks : )
Old 12-08-2005, 09:18 AM

sounds pretty bad but im afraid is happening everywhere. One friend had a break in overnight and lost 2 vehicles and another friend actually found a man in her kitchen talking to her child!!! she told him to get out and he said he was asking for directions and then walked off - 30 mins later she noticed her car was nolonger on driveway...

Sounds nuts but agreed - Bolt those doors. Neither of these events woulda happened if the doors were bolted proper!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:25 AM

I don't live a million miles away from that area. Although I'm Cheshire. Same problem though. The area has the perception of being 'posh' and scum come out of Manchester to rob. There was a story in the paper last week about a guy getting out of his Impreza to go to the shop and being robbed by two scousers with a knife. They relieved him of his car and went.

Scum. At least I don't park outside the house and plenty of people have better cars in the street.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm ashamed to say that there was a carjacking incident on the southside of Glasgow a few weeks ago. Two guys pulled a gun on a woman getting out her BMW convertible and a shot was fired.

Full story here.

A company I used to work for had sites in the Manchester area and even back in the mid 90s, it had a terrible reputation for carjacking. Several employees were accosted between their car and the office and had their company beaters nicked, but I'd always hoped the problem wouldn't migrate further North. Looks like they target particular makes and models, although I've not heard any stories of S's being targeted yet.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:39 AM

Which part of Manchester? Its a big city
Old 12-08-2005, 09:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenny,Dec 8 2005, 06:39 PM
Which part of Manchester? Its a big city
Trafford Park in the above case. Who cares anyway ... Mancs are Mancs
Old 12-08-2005, 01:38 PM

When I went to a hotel in Manchester a few years ago, I asked a policeman on a motorbike for directions - first thing he told me was to lock the doors in case of car jacking! (I was in the Audi)

A girlfriend I know was car jacked twice for her R32.

Another girlfriend was attempted-car jacked for the BM 330 estate

Another friend of mine was car jacked recently for his Boxster - he got badly beaten up

Fingers crossed !!
Old 12-08-2005, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I hate to say it, we're not a target. CTR's are a big target, as there's a high demand for them. S2000's not so much demand.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer,Dec 8 2005, 10:38 PM
first thing he told me was to lock the doors in case of car jacking! (I was in the Audi)

Another girlfriend was attempted-car jacked for the BM 330 estate

Another friend of mine was car jacked recently for his Boxster
Scallies have no feckin style.

Audi, Beamer and Porsche. Sounds like a bluetooth convention.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Banned

Anything big with chavs is a target. So decent people (i.e. not the drug dealing thugs who desire them) with Evo's, Impreza's or CTR's are under threat. Almost makes you want to drive around everywhere packing a gun just in case some f*cking animal tries to steal your shit.

They're also used a lot in armed robberies as they're quicker than most cars the cops would have lying around to give chase with.

Quick Reply: Manchester area; Car jacking.