UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

m4 protest day

Old 04-19-2005, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer,Apr 19 2005, 06:34 PM
Nick, not disputing that speed gets unfair blame - it's such an easy scapegoat, as are the motorists (I speak from experience )

It's just that a lot of people who voice their views end up sounding like spoilt children (not implying that anybody here is doing that) and sulking that they can't have their own way. I don't think 70mph is an appropriate speed limit, but shouldn't we be protesting to the politicians and those who make the decisions - not the numpty's in the vans , or the traffic police, as they can't change anything.
Stupidly low the limit may be, they don't have to put the farkin van there. They could go and do worthwhile stuff.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:46 AM

Sure i agree, like catching drinkdrivers, tailgaters, rapists etc.

But ultimately I am sure those police are doing what they've been told to do by their superior's - hence shouldn't we target those who make the decisions?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Apr 19 2005, 05:25 PM
Many people on our roads are not capable of driving at the speeds they do, and they are taken by surprise when a car moving at much greater speed to them passes them (e.g. they are doing 65, a car passes at 120).
I don't think that any 'driver' would do that.
It is after all relative speeds that count.
If you can't brake to miss someone who pulls out without looking then you are not a 'driver'.
If everything is travelling at 100mph - a 20mph differential is probably acceptable. You don't have to come to a grinding halt - you merely have to equate speeds. And be awake.
That's what really gets me about these 'speed' fanatics. They always quote stopping distances - which out of town - with no pedestrians - are irrelevant - IMHO.
I spent happy 1/2 hour reading the Leeming stuff - recommend it to anyone.
I think that I will be on the M4.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer,Apr 19 2005, 07:34 PM
Nick, not disputing that speed gets unfair blame - it's such an easy scapegoat, as are the motorists (I speak from experience )

It's just that a lot of people who voice their views end up sounding like spoilt children (not implying that anybody here is doing that) and sulking that they can't have their own way. I don't think 70mph is an appropriate speed limit, but shouldn't we be protesting to the politicians and those who make the decisions - not the numpty's in the vans , or the traffic police, as they can't change anything.
I'm not talking to you anymore, you big poo!

Actually, I think the point of the demo is to raise publicity, understanding (a lot of tremblies believe whatever crap Nanny State tells 'em, remember!) Also, if the plod feed it back to their kings (or queens, in certain Welsh forces!), it will get the politicos' attention. There is an erection soon, so they may actually be slightly less disrespectful of the general public than they otherwise are.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

What exactly are they gonna do? block the morotway? put up banners? or speed past lots of times?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:17 PM

Question: Would you let another forummer drive your car for a weekend?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:36 PM
GSi

RichUK and I swapped cars for the weekend when I was considering alternatives
Old 04-19-2005, 12:41 PM

I just wondered as there would be a small possibility of me being back in the UK on business then.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by mikerich,Apr 19 2005, 07:55 PM
I don't think that any 'driver' would do that.
It is after all relative speeds that count.
If you can't brake to miss someone who pulls out without looking then you are not a 'driver'.
If everything is travelling at 100mph - a 20mph differential is probably acceptable. You don't have to come to a grinding halt - you merely have to equate speeds. And be awake.
That's what really gets me about these 'speed' fanatics. They always quote stopping distances - which out of town - with no pedestrians - are irrelevant - IMHO.
I spent happy 1/2 hour reading the Leeming stuff - recommend it to anyone.
I think that I will be on the M4.
I agree with you, any driver worth their salt wouldn't drive without planning escape routes or leaving margins etc., however unfortunately law legislates for the dumb out there
Old 04-19-2005, 01:36 PM

All this about the M$ speed cameras is interesting and was chatting to my brother in law who lives in Cockermouth Cumbria. We went up there at the weekend and they have had loads of camera vans on tyhe M6 for a good year or more. When we went up there I got half way between junction 39 and 40 (Penrith) saw a van on a bridge and thought humm!!!! yep speed camera van. Now I thought of the M$ immediately and thought there is one big, big difference - there were 20 cars in total in view on both sides of the road. I had more chance of hitting a field mouse than I did another car. Why were they there on the bridge except for

Quick Reply: m4 protest day