UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

M4 protest...

Old 04-25-2005, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M4 protest...

Whos going so far?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:52 AM

M4 SCAMERA PROTEST SET TO BE HUGE
Anti-Big Brother drive-by aims to change government policy

The amazing public response to the five-day-old M4 Protest campaign suggests that thousands of vehicles will join the 'slow drive' protest against M4 speed cameras.

Meanwhile, figures released today by the RAC reveal the motorists' pain with 55 per cent of motorists saying the their "motoring life is worse" as a result of speed cameras, with 67 per cent saying that speed cameras have "no positive impact".

The campaign has also issued a list of demands:

The immediate suspension of all speed cameras on open motorways because we do not believe that they improve safety.
An end to the greedy camera partnerships. The partnership structure is cash driven and works against genuine road safety.
That no road safety policy penalises safe and responsible driving.
Road safety policies that enhance, rather than destroy, the relationship between responsible members of the public and the Police.
That the major political parties make very clear their policies on speed cameras and road safety in the run up to the general election.
A fair, impartial and statistically sound review of all speed camera operations giving proper consideration to side effects as well as main effects.
An immediate end to the deliberate abuse of statistical data. For example, camera partnerships and others ignore regression to the mean effects to fraudulently claim benefit for their cameras.
Open and accurate public debate on the issues surrounding speed cameras. Our spokesperson will meet anyone - head to head - in any national media.
The public response has been huge with more than 30,000 Web site page views in just five days and many hundreds of emails of support. It is impossible to know what the level of support will turn out to be on the day, but we have every reason to believe that it will be considerable.

When and where

Protest traffic will assemble at both Leigh Delamere and Membury Services from 10am on Saturday 30th April. At 11am protest convoys will leave both services travelling west from Membury and east from Leigh Delamere.

However, the campaign admits that there may be serious congestion on the M4 motorway between junctions 14 and 18 on Saturday 30th April between 10am and 2pm. Travellers may wish to consider alternative routes, alternative travel times, or may wish to join the M4 Protest.

M4 Protest is taking all possible precautions to minimise traffic disruption, including asking protest traffic to keep out of lane three, liaising with police and running the protest convoy at a target speed of 56mph.

The organisers have also discussed with police the risk of service station car park overflow. If this happens, police will have to close the slip road because traffic backing up onto the motorway would be dangerous. It follows that travellers should ensure that they have plenty of fuel to reach the next services.

Details will be published on the M4 Protest Web site (link below).

Protest organiser, Robin Summerhill said: "If the M4 Protest does cause serious congestion then we would see that as a very strong indication that the public believes policy is wrong. If people were not upset, they wouldn't attend and there would be no congestion.

"In short, we blame the government. Motorists have a golden opportunity to send a message to politicians before the election by joining the M4 Protest on Saturday 30th."

Paul Smith, M4 Protest road safety spokesman said, "Speed cameras have issued
Old 04-25-2005, 04:58 AM

I read there's an oil refinery blockade going on down south somewhere aslo -
Old 04-25-2005, 05:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by euan,Apr 25 2005, 12:58 PM
I read there's an oil refinery blockade going on down south somewhere aslo -
Story
Old 04-25-2005, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep @ 90p per litre of Optimax and SUL and Diesel not that far behind, it's only a matter of time before it all kicks off
Old 04-25-2005, 05:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I will be filling up on the way home tonight ..... just in case
Old 04-25-2005, 05:25 AM

I filled up at the weekend for the first time in a couple of weeks - 91.9p/litre for Optimax in Congleton! It has been 88.9 the time I filled up before that, and 86.9 the one before that (only 3 days beforehand).

So, that's 5p on a litre in less than a month. Not long until we're looking at
Old 04-25-2005, 05:32 AM

I'm going, starting at the Bristol-side.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:50 AM

I filled up at the weekend and it was 90.9, I'm sure it was <90 last time I filled up
Old 04-25-2005, 06:50 AM

Maybe....

Quick Reply: M4 protest...