UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Lucid rear panels

Old 11-02-2004, 06:40 AM
Xd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucid rear panels

Anybody used these panels to house a couple of small sub woofers?

Not happy with my rears at the mo, they just don
Old 11-02-2004, 06:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure that bass speakers come in such small sizes Tintop, simply a question of physics. However, there may be some out there which Mikey K or X Ruckus are aware of. You may be better swopping the speakers for mid range speakers which are well known for their bass.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by craig armstrong,Nov 2 2004, 03:56 PM
simply a question of physics.
Why? Please explain.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:02 AM
GSi

: popcorn :
Old 11-02-2004, 07:03 AM

shifting large amounts of air with the speaker cones and low frequencies (don't pressurise me further Steven, it all too techincal and I may ).

Erm, not sure how the HU would drive sub speakers as well - you may have impedence problems
Old 11-02-2004, 07:22 AM
Xd

Mid range is the easiest option as the kit is being run from the head unit, All the speakers I have seen though come with birdies andI can't see the need for them as you already have two near your ears. The acoustics in the car seem to peak between 4khz and 5khz so I don't want to boost this range anymore and mids might do this. Its around 100Hz where things go so thats what needs tweeking.

My guess would be two 5" speakers should have the same push as one 8" sub?? Mayme a separate amp to drive them.

Subs behind the seats should be so It'll feel like your farting.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by TinTop,Nov 2 2004, 04:22 PM
My guess would be two 5" speakers should have the same push as one 8" sub?? Mayme a separate amp to drive them.
well, 2 x (5^2) = 50 and 8^2 = 64 so the 8" sub has the advantage, ignoring any laws of physics re needing bigger speakers to get deep bass. On the latter point, see para 3 of this article I just found on Google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subwoofer

Have you thought about aural bass shakers, as per Mikey K's setup?
Old 11-02-2004, 07:29 AM
UK Moderator

Received 306 Likes on 262 Posts

Craig is basically correct.

In order to produce low frequency sounds at a certain volume, you have to shift a lot more air than you would to produce higher frequency sounds at the same volume. In order to shift more air, you need a larger speaker area (which is why subs are usually 8" upwards), as well as a more powerful amplifier to move the speaker.

Whilst you can produce very low frequencies with a small speaker, it would have to move a very long way back and forth to do it, which results in a flapping noise, which is why we have larger diameter speakers for low frequencies.

The reason subs are bigger is also to do with surface area.
2 6" subs have a surface area of 2 x (pi x 3 x 3) = 56.5 square inches
1 12" sub has a surface area of pi x 6 x 6 = 113 square inches - double the surface area.

You can cheat a little with subwoofer speaker sizes by attaching them to tubes or boxes but this is not an option if you want to use the Lucid panels for the install.

Craig's suggestion of getting some decent quality mid rangers for the rear panels is a good one, especially if you can apply a crossover (low pass filter) to them, either from the HU or using the crossover supplied with the speakers.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget there is a seat in the way So you will need to drive them a bit harder. Should just be a matter of tweaking cross over and F/R fade on the HU.

I went for the Bass Shakers as they do not need the power or surface area of a sub, but still let you "feel" the bass. I do have an amp so I have used the rear channels of the HU to drive them. They are easily adjusted from the HU this way.

I them
Old 11-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Xd

Okay, I can see the idea behind the bass shaker but does it get around the issue of loosing the lower frequencies when you are driving.

I plugged in a frequency generator into the HU at the weekend and listened out for peaks and troughs. Mid range 4000-5000 Hz gets amplified big time by the car, 60 - 150hz gets lost especially when driving.

I want to compensate for these withough using a graphic equalizer, I also have an issue with space. The rear panels seem an option but they are small so no sub. Need to track down some quality mid's without any tweeties and it sounds as thought I should get a quality amp. Maybe a Sub later in the sides of the boot?

I will eventually get an equalizer to try and get a neutral as poss sound. I spent a LOT of money on my Hi-Fi at home I would like somthing in the car that dosen't sound crap.

Thanks for all you help guys, its looking as though those Lucid panels are gonna be back in the MM auction again next year.

Quick Reply: Lucid rear panels