UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Loud Wind Noise with Roof Up?

Old 01-18-2005, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Wind Noise with Roof Up?

I took my car down the dealer today (99V) because the car has huge wind noise over 50mph. When I've been clamping the roof back on there is no tension on the clamps. It feels like they are soooo loose.
The mechanic said it was probably the rubbers or maybe the clamps.
He aslo mentioned it could be the whole roof

Anyone here had a similar problem?

Cheers
Phil
Old 01-18-2005, 12:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Are the strikers (where the roof catches clip into) worn, normally a grove where the stricker has been.

If so just get some JDM GT strickers about
Old 01-18-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing check the FAQ or my thread

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=25&t=245690

Don't let the stealer con you!
Old 01-18-2005, 02:32 PM

Got the same problem on my MY00. I was told by my stealer that the latches are of a harder material than the strikers and cause them to wear out. If you take a look at your strikers and find a small notch missing from wear that is going to be your problem. This can be sorted temporarily by putting something in between the latches and the strikers such as rubber or paper which is what I did. However this became a pain when putting the roof up and down so today I went down to my stealer to by the newer uprated GT strikers which set me back
Old 01-18-2005, 03:10 PM

Cheers Guys,Thanks for the info.
Hope it is just the strickers, will find out tommorow.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:22 PM

I had exactly the same problem (MY99) and fitted new strikers last weekend. Totally transformed the drive and the best 50 quid I've spent on the car (apart from S2KUK membership of course). Job took all of 10 minutes to do and if you're careful, you don't even need to remove the interior light.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

you can indeed bend the trim back just far enough to get in with a screwdriver to remove the strikers.

the other option rather than replace them is swap them left to right. i did this with mine and it totally cured the problem. long term however i know i'll have to replace them.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:32 PM
hyb

If your getting a bit of wind noise, put some fish tank tubing over the ends of the roof pin things that connect, makes it a bit more snug. I only get wind noise over 90 now. (track days of course)
Old 01-18-2005, 11:39 PM

I went for the super cheap option (for now!):

I took some clear plastic tubing that my mate used for his pump in his fish tank, and put them over the clips that attach to the strikers, it took me all of 10 mins to do. Try cleaning all the plastic seals the roof attaches to, and wipe some WD40 along them to stop them going hard and splitting, it also helps reduce the wind noise!

Check the FAQ I think this is in there, it will cost you all of
Old 01-19-2005, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wear in the strikers actually comes from the location pin in the roof which is drag across the slot and in to the striker as the catches are closed. Hance the slot shaped wear. The damage is caused by the leverage the catch puts on the pin against the striker.

I noticed these pins taking the paint off the new strikers on mine, so now I make a habit of pulling the roof in to the strikers with the central handle before closing the clips. Should save me another

Quick Reply: Loud Wind Noise with Roof Up?