UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Looking to buy an s2000 in the next few months, what to look out for?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy an s2000 in the next few months, what to look out for?

Hello all!

So after moving away from Honda only six months ago (previously owned a civic), I have decided to ditch german engineering and come back to Honda, with a s2k this time.

I tend to do alot of miles for work, so not really looking to purchase a low milage car which I will clock up within no time and loose alot of money on the resale value. I am probably looking to purchase a car in the region of 60-70k miles on the clock. From previous experience I know that a well looked after honda will drive well upto 120-130k miles, is this also true for the s2000? Also what should I be looking for on a s2k with this kind of mileage? (timing belt/ chain?)

Ive been looking at various pictures of s2000s trying to figure out the differences in the models, I have figured that there is a facelift model, apart from the front bumper what other differences are there? if any? Also what is different with the gt model?

Im eventually looking to mod the car also, but still undecided on what to do, Ill have a little browse around and see what i can find on the site, and im sure i will have some more questions about something or another, lol.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 AM
MIP

Originally Posted by mitz
Hello all!

So after moving away from Honda only six months ago (previously owned a civic), I have decided to ditch german engineering and come back to Honda, with a s2k this time.

I tend to do alot of miles for work, so not really looking to purchase a low milage car which I will clock up within no time and loose alot of money on the resale value. I am probably looking to purchase a car in the region of 60-70k miles on the clock. From previous experience I know that a well looked after honda will drive well upto 120-130k miles, is this also true for the s2000? Also what should I be looking for on a s2k with this kind of mileage? (timing belt/ chain?)

Ive been looking at various pictures of s2000s trying to figure out the differences in the models, I have figured that there is a facelift model, apart from the front bumper what other differences are there? if any? Also what is different with the gt model?

Im eventually looking to mod the car also, but still undecided on what to do, Ill have a little browse around and see what i can find on the site, and im sure i will have some more questions about something or another, lol.

Thanks for your help guys!

I know that a well looked after honda will drive well upto 120-130k miles, is this also true for the s2000?

- Sounds about right

I have figured that there is a facelift model, apart from the front bumper what other differences are there?

- Stiffer chassis, 17" wheels, wider wheels at the back, various suspention tweeks along the different model years, revised engine internals and oil squirters (04 onward is less likely to use oil, in my case no oil usage @70k), revised gearbox syncro's (carbon on 04 onward), better sound system, slightly nicer interior, glass rear screen on 03 onward.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...=2003100141482

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6uB4Hamilw

GT just means it's got a hard top with fitting kit.

Do definatly read the FAQ on here before buying.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:59 AM

Have a search around this forum, theres so much info on here that helped me when buying mine last year.

Read the FAQ, especially about the Geo Bolts. When I brought mine a couple of the guys off here went to have a look at it for me before I took the plunge because it was a couple of hundred miles away. If your lucky and ask nicely/offer bribes then you might get someone to hold your hand when you go looking
Old 11-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/131...ad-this-first/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/724...ng-guidelines/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/301...nical-faq-v21/
Old 11-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Lose.

Definitely.

That is all for now
Old 11-16-2011, 11:42 AM

I would like a hard top, so will probably be looking for a GT model then, however if I find a non-GT model for a substantially lower price would I be correct in believing that the hardtop roofs available from ebay for £400ish would fit direct onto a non GT model? Or are they built specifically for the GT?

Lose.

Definitely.

That is all for now
Old 11-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Banned

I would like a hard top, so will probably be looking for a GT model then, however if I find a non-GT model for a substantially lower price would I be correct in believing that the hardtop roofs available from ebay for £400ish would fit direct onto a non GT model? Or are they built specifically for the GT?
No you also require the fitting kit that goes second hard for roughly £500 so you will need in the region of £1k for a hardtop

Lose.

Definitely.

That is all for now
some people prefer to find faults in people's spelling rather then give advice, this forum is very old fashioned and you are required to use perfect english and no txt talk.

back on topic
- I would go for as low mileage car as you can afford with good service history, main dealer is not essential to me as long as carried out buy someone knowledgeable in sports cars,

- Lots of previous owners can be normal as in any sports drop top as bought as a toy for the summer then sold,

- I would look to buy from a car enthusiast who will have looked after the car better then most but then you also run the risk that they may have driven it properly driven it harder,

- Are you looking for a standard or modified car?

- Pre-facelift cars 99-02 cars have more aggressive/stiffer suspension and generally per sieved as the drivers model

- I think the facelift cars interior is terrible but some prefer it, its mainly door cards, seats and centre console

- I personally hate the look of stock S200's, i think they at least require a subtle drop with a change of wheels, Factory fitted/ebay lip on the front is a must. Then you can keep it Normally Aspirated and put on a exhaust and induction kit to gain some more noise or go mad and fit a turbo or supercharger kit and have a weapon in a straight line and on track.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by rob2.2
- Pre-facelift cars 99-02 cars have more aggressive/stiffer suspension and generally per sieved as the drivers model
Rob - You're a tease!! I can see your play on words here to make your point

Mitz. Good advice and shed loads of material is available through the forum. Try to meet up through the meets and events section to get a real good low down!!
And don't listen too closely to Rob on styling as he is a bad influence as I have recently discovered when persuaded to purchase a front lip. Admittedly it does look rather HyoLee Sexy.