UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Looking to buy, couple of Q's

Old 03-15-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy, couple of Q's

Evenin' all.

Looking to buy an s2k in the next few weeks but had a couple of quick questions before shelling out the hard-earned. I test drove an'03 last weekend, loved the handling, engine utterly barking, brakes fine, but.....

1) It's a touch gutless low down, what can be down to boost the bottom end a bit?

2) The exhaust is pretty quiet, what's a reasonable compromise for volume/sanity?

3) What are the absolutely essential mods, if any?

Thanks in advance for any help. If anyone knows of a well-loved example in the south-east for around the
Old 03-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi Ali

Read these:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=249683

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=301506

Plenty in the south east for sale. Whereabouts are you, get along to a meet and you might see some mods there
Old 03-15-2006, 01:26 PM

There are a number of aftermarket exhausts available, ranging from those that give a bit fruitier exhaust note but won't make your ears bleed to those that will deafen you within 0.5 miles.

The F20C isn't an easy engine to tune - any meaningful increase in performance is going to cost you
Old 03-15-2006, 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=alibee,Mar 15 2006, 10:15 PM] Evenin' all.

Looking to buy an s2k in the next few weeks but had a couple of quick questions before shelling out the hard-earned. I test drove an'03 last weekend, loved the handling, engine utterly barking, brakes fine, but.....

1) It's a touch gutless low down, what can be down to boost the bottom end a bit?

2) The exhaust is pretty quiet, what's a reasonable compromise for volume/sanity?

Thanks in advance for any help. If anyone knows of a well-loved example in the south-east for around the
Old 03-15-2006, 01:33 PM
pip

It's a 2 litre Normally Aspirated engine so it will be gutless low down. If you want power from 2-3k rpm, get another car. Having said that, once you get to learn how to get the best out of the car, you will not care about that.
Personally I like VTEC as it provides two cars in one, sorta.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Mar 15 2006, 02:24 PM
Whereabouts are you, get along to a meet and you might see some mods there
Rickmansworth funnily enough (Norfolk Rd). Will deffos make it to a meet when I lay down some cash on an s2k.

Thanks for the other answers guys. Looks like I need to do some serious reading before buying.

Cheers,

ali
Old 03-15-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by pip,Mar 15 2006, 02:33 PM
It's a 2 litre Normally Aspirated engine so it will be gutless low down. If you want power from 2-3k rpm, get another car. Having said that, once you get to learn how to get the best out of the car, you will not care about that.
Personally I like VTEC as it provides two cars in one, sorta.
You won't hear any argument from me on that front! I've had an ancient (92) prelude and a new NSX and loved both equally. Finest engine system the world's ever seen.

Can't wait to be back in a Honda.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:45 PM

I came from a 1.8 20V Turbo with 100% torque from 2k rpm (225bhp), and the S did feel gutless low down. It still does really, but like others have said you don't need to worry as all the fun is had higher up the rev range. Unlike some other VTEC cars the S is not so difficult to keep in VTEC - 6k to 9k rpm.

Occasionally it can frustrate when overtaking e.g. 50mph, but you learn to get around it and live with it due to the amazing sound and performance once in the 'zone'.

Good luck finding one, I just sold my 03 but there are lots of fine examples out there and on from our own board.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Rickmansworth is the capital of S2000's

If you want to see mine you are welcome. Not sure where Norfolk road is though.

Funnily enough was talking to some of the other Ricky guys (or close by anyway) to organise a localish beer one evening There are a few of us around Ricky:

Me
S2000SM (recluse, he doesn't 'do' meets)
lovegroova
FunBox
AndyPandy (Chalfont)

And I am sure there are others I have forgotten!

You might have seen/heard mine around - silver with carbon bonnet.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alibee,Mar 15 2006, 10:15 PM

1. If you really must then changing the final drive will make a big difference

2. How long is a piece of string? I liked the HKS Hiper (but ditched it when I went on a weigt saving mission)

3. Academy day. Learn the limits of the car in a location where it doesn't matter if you fcuk up Apart from that it would depend on the year/model you dicided to go for.

Get yourself along to the next Herts meet. A good way to have a look at some modded cars and find out more about them.

P.S. There is a bargain of a modified car in the 'for sale' at the moment.

Thanks for the virtual beer

Quick Reply: Looking to buy, couple of Q's