UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Locking wheel nuts question

Old 04-04-2004, 03:19 PM
Ric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking wheel nuts question

Hi again all - next newbie question......

My year 2000 S came with a set of locking wheel nuts - in the boot! I was going to put them on today, but then thought I'd do a check on this board to see if there was any reason why the previous owner left them in the boot and not on the wheels.

I did a search and found a couple of posts by owners in the US saying that the locking nuts can cause wheel imbalances, and that they stick out further. I also read, though, that the standard European ones are different from the US ones, so I'm not sure if this affects us. (Do Americans have bigger nuts than we do? Surely not? )

So, has anyone here had any problems with their nuts?????

Richard
Old 04-04-2004, 03:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely no problems with mine

Never heard of imbalance problems on the UK side of the board. I reckon they're too close to the centre to cause an issue.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Never had problems with my nuts and imbalance, but I did change my knob for more of a handful and shorter shifts
Old 04-04-2004, 03:33 PM

My only issue with my nuts is that as they get older they do loose they're gloss and flake . Maybe it's because I don't polish as much as I used to?
Old 04-04-2004, 03:42 PM
Ric

I knew I was asking for trouble with this thread!!
Old 04-04-2004, 03:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ric
(Do Americans have bigger nuts than we do?
Old 04-04-2004, 10:14 PM

Oh dear....it seems you have all forgotten my thread last year about my fooked nuts

If your nuts have a white cap on the end and the lock is 4 pins then I would'nt put them on under any circumstances

hang on and I will find the thread......
Old 04-04-2004, 10:20 PM

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...&highlight=nuts

PS I used to be called Hotshot, in case your confused by the thread replies
Old 04-04-2004, 10:59 PM

Imbalance nuts ? One way to find out .... run as fast as u can along the curb ... if you find yourself swaying to either side .........

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 04-05-2004, 03:15 AM

It seems that there are two types of Honda locking nut in the UK. The old 'troublesome' ones and the newer ones.

The old ones (Part number 08W42 S1A 601C) rely on four pins inside the 'cup' of the 'key'. The pins engage with four depressions on a cone on the nut and use a decorative plastic cover to hide the nut. These seem to have a record of sticking (I assume due to corrosion or over tightening by mechanic with air/impact spanners). The 'key' gets damaged when you try to take the nut off leaving 'one in a spot of bother'.

The later ones appear to be rebranded McGuard nuts. They are nice cylinders with a wiggly groove in a circle on the top face. I do not have the part number - you can buy the McGuard equivalent at Halfords.

As an engineer I find it hard to believe that these can cause serious imbalance. The difference in mass between the stock nut and a locking nut must be small, and they are near the wheel's centre.

Quick Reply: Locking wheel nuts question