UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Little run in with a new M3

Old 05-04-2003, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little run in with a new M3

The new M3 has always been on my list as my 'next' car...swapping years of convertibles for something a bit more practical.

Anyway - today I had my first little run in with one.....me in 2nd at 5000rpm up to the top of 3rd and.............

A few things of note. One - the sound of the M3 is very weird...like a sharp rapid rattling noise. I am not sure what it would of sounded like from inside the car but it was very strange.

Secondly - it looks great and muscular from behind

Thirdly - and perhaps the most surprising....the difference in perfromance between our cars is not that great. I am one of them people that understands that there will never be great differences in fast cars...Quite often in my 160 Elise I would be surprised at the way some cars kept up but I really thought that the M3 would put a bit of ground between us...it probably made about 5-10 feet.

I know it was only a quick burst but I would look forward to a longer run in with one on some A and B roads.

Anyone else raced on of these ?
Old 05-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

A couple of observations:

He/she may not have been trying. I know no-one likes to think this, but it's true. I often 'lose' races to POS cars like Novas and Foci. I just can't be arsed to prove a point to animals further down the food chain.
Was the M3 just doing enough. I think there is sometimes more pleasure in this than creaming the other car completely.
It may not have been run in.
It may not have been warm.
What gears were you both in over this 'short burst'? Did you decide to go for it when the M3 was in 6th? If you got the jump over a short distance there are not many cars that could overhaul you.

I know this. My E36 M3 was quicker in a straight line than the S. I also raced an E36 in my S over a couple of miles and he was certainly trying - I was gaining but I think he was still quicker.

The E46 M3 has been proven to be significantly faster than the E36 in every performance test; 0-60, 0-100 etc and in-gear acceleration.................

I should think on A and B roads it would be quite close, but most likely down to the driver.

Don't get me wrong. I love the S, but I believe the M3 is a quicker car in most respects. So is a TVR, and some other cars, but I couldn't care less.

Old 05-04-2003, 01:16 PM

My biz partner Mike has an E46 M3 conv. and theres really nothing in it between him and my NSX.
I definately agree about the strange exhaust note - I'm not too keen on it myself, but he seems to enjoy it.
I also agree with the aggressive rear view, in fact I went on about it so much that one day when we were out in it he stopped & got out and made me drive off in it so he could see for himself.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:30 PM

My mate should be getting his E46 M3 conv soon. I have read a lot of stories in the street encounters forum and the M3 conv is not that much faster. As for a blast on in the twisties, I think the S would have the upper hand. As Evo puts it "gets the wobbles on B roads".

The engine/exhaust not is awful - similar to a heat shield rattling.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:57 AM

Yeah I have had a go with a new (convertible) M3. You are right there is nothing in it. This was on twisties. On a traffic light start he pulled 1 car length clear but no more

AND the guy was trying, he told me so at the traffic lights
Old 05-05-2003, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not often that I come across someone in a comparable performance car that wants to play but on Saturday on my way back from Guildford there was a blue S reg M3 in front of me. As we hit the Hoggs Back he put his foot down and caught me off guard, kept with him fairly well but he had the jump! He took the A331 turn which is where I was heading, now I was supposed to take the first exit but decided to see what would happen. Lots of traffic to start with but then it started to clear and I could see a long clear stretch ahead, we were doing about 60 at this point so I dropped to 4th in preparation and sure enough as the last car moved over he was off and so was I. Interesting to see no ground gained either way right up to 130, then we met traffic again and he sensibly dropped back Then I had to go around the roundabout at the top and back to where I was supposed to be going!!

Really doesn't happen to me very often and the fact that the sun was shining made it even more enjoyable!

So from that I am guessing that an E46 will be a little quicker?

- Adam.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:08 AM

Had a little run myself this afternoon with a silver E46 M3 convertible. Section of dual carriageway between J11 of M25 and St Peter's Hospital. Paul (z to60) will know where I mean. Nice strip of 'black stripe' zone.

I was totally not expecting it, and had just come off the roundabout onto it, waiting for a micra (or something like that) to move over so I could just slowly amble past it. Suddenly the M3 appeared in my rearview mirror, and he looked as though he meant business.

So I dropped a gear (must have been 2nd I think) in preparation for the expected eventuality, while at the same time waiting for the Micra to move out of the way....and credit to him, he did it as soon as he could!! (must have been bricking it, poor guy!)

Next time I looked in the mirror, I thought that he was trying to kiss my butt he was so close!!
He, at this stage, was definitely looking for the overtake.....actually, it would have been an undertake, but hey, who wants technicalities?

Poor Karen, I don't think she knew what hit her! I think he got the initial pull, but then I was at 8000rpm and I tell you now, he made no further ground at all, and that's bearing in mind I messed up by not getting into VTEC for the next 2 gears.

Admittedly, he had a child in the front seat so he may have pulled out of it, but hey, why was he driving so aggressively in the first place?

I think, if this car was in front, even an E46 would have difficulty trying to claim superiority.

I love my car!!
Old 05-05-2003, 12:01 PM

He was pulling away from the traffic lights in the left lane and from the sound of the exhaust and the fact that the way he got up to 85 he was trying.. I was roof down and from the sounds of his engine he was going for it.

I came past about 30mph in the right lane of the traffic lights as I caught them at the right time....he must of seen me and gone for it.

I have no doubt it is quicker - the book figures say it is 2.7 quicker to a 100 however it just shows that unless it is a dead straight road...both from a standing start there is not much in it.

Still want one though...although maybe more tempted by the 330Ci Diesel Coupe in April next year.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:27 PM

San2000, yes I know that stretch you mean....I had an E36 M3 and where the road curves round to the left as you join the carriageway the M3 used to get very unsettled, the Honda is far more composed through there, personally I think the Honda has a far better set up for fast road driving than the M3 to honest although I can't speak for the E46. Of course the E36 suspension technology is relatively old by comparison so may account for it

The thing about my old M3 was it was very powerful and torquey but not do easy to put it down on the road cleanly and it's a brave driver who can keep up with an S2000 unless in a straightline
Old 05-06-2003, 12:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny you should say all this. Followed an M3 yesterday. To be honest I thought it looked great. He was up for it but Mrs CC said, no go. He screwed off from a start and it did sound like a heatshield rattle.

Very very muscley car. Nice.

Quick Reply: Little run in with a new M3