UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

little brake leak

Old 04-13-2008, 11:11 AM
naI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little brake leak

Hi all,
Have a little suspected little problem & wondered if any one could help before contacting dealer. Had my Disc and pads changeds @ dealers couple of days ago , and was looking under the car today and noticed what i belive to be drops of brake fluid on the driveway floor, and also on the underside of the car not much but a little worrying.(drivers side about foot in from front wheel). Seemed to trace this back to underneath either Brake fluid reservoir or master cylinder. The Master Cylinder doesn't appear to have any leaks But the reservoir had been overfilled by dealers as fluid has and had been seeping threw top cap. All fluid has been moped up and I've dropped fluid level to just below max and have been for short drive. (pedal feels normal). On return, fluid has again has slighty seeped threw top cap. Am going to leave it over night to see if fluid in reservoir drops, meaning possible leak elsewhere, or should fluid be dropped further? Could Top cap be faulty? (vinly seal present). . But if any one else has any idea's I would be grateful.
There's No leaks @ Calipers when pedal pressed hard.
Many thanks.

Ian
Old 04-13-2008, 04:00 PM
eho

They overfill the reservoir to bleed the breaks i would imangine...My guess is that they didnt check the level afterwards.

like you said, keep an eye on the level. i cant imangine the cap being expensive if needs be replacing. Personally i wouldnt drop the fluid level any further, just keep it at MAX line and see what happens in the next few days / weeks depending how much you drive the S. But in theory it should drop as your pads are worn.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:57 AM

When you fit new pads it pushes more fluid back into the reservoir. They should have removed some of this fluid to prevent it leaking out. I would agree you should leave it at the max level and keep an eye on the level, as it will reduce as you bed in the brakes.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:46 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Are you aware that it will strip the paint off everyting it's leaked on?

It should be washed off immediately.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

indeed nick - get it off paint ASAP.

a common thing is when all 4 corners are worn (but not enough to be changed) and they top-up the fluid on service. the next time it's in for service, they change brakes.
as the caliper pistons are pushed back, it pushes fluid back into the brake res, and leaks out everywhere.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:07 AM
naI

Thanks for replies. Have contacted dealer today as curiosity has got the better of me, Shocked when they asked to look at it and could i bring it in NOW ,very unusual wouldn't you say!! couldn't make today so am dropping off in the morning, will keep posted if unusual problem found.
Tempted to contact HUk first thing to quiz them about it.