UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Limited Life Diff

Old 02-23-2006, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each time it's been replaced it has been the entire unit, not components. It's always been replaced by the same dealer, so I suppose it could be something they're doing (when I had the last one replaced I did almost ask if there were any spare bits left over that they weren't sure what they were for). I've spoken to Honda UK and asked them monitor the situation. They seemed fairly interested, which I suppose you'd expect since they've all been replaced under warranty so far. Whatever profit margin they had on my car is long gone.

I did ask if there was anything I could be doing that might be causing the issue. Honda said they weren't aware of anything you could do under "normal" driving conditions to damage a diff. I've never taken it to a track day and I don't drive it particularly hard.

Still, it could be a fantastic opportunity to treat myself to something new and shiny. My work colleagues are encouraging me to import a Mustang. It would certainly be different.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:37 AM

My money is that they're filling it with the wrong oil. Someone else had the same problem and I'm sure that's what it was
Old 02-23-2006, 03:42 AM

Thanks for the advice on the oil. I'll definitely try to check that, although not sure how. Somehow "Are you idiots putting the right oil in my diff?" doesn't sound tactful enough.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:49 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Good idea Neil, Nelly ask what oil they are using Then report back!
Old 02-23-2006, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nelly,Feb 23 2006, 04:35 AM
Each time it's been replaced it has been the entire unit, not components. It's always been replaced by the same dealer, so I suppose it could be something they're doing (when I had the last one replaced I did almost ask if there were any spare bits left over that they weren't sure what they were for). I've spoken to Honda UK and asked them monitor the situation. They seemed fairly interested, which I suppose you'd expect since they've all been replaced under warranty so far. Whatever profit margin they had on my car is long gone.

I did ask if there was anything I could be doing that might be causing the issue. Honda said they weren't aware of anything you could do under "normal" driving conditions to damage a diff. I've never taken it to a track day and I don't drive it particularly hard.

Still, it could be a fantastic opportunity to treat myself to something new and shiny. My work colleagues are encouraging me to import a Mustang. It would certainly be different.
Glad you didn't take offence to the comment, it wasn't supposed to be offensive

Hope you get it sorted, its also why i do alot of work on cars myself as i have had enough of other people making a mess of the car, i'd rather do that myself
Old 02-23-2006, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nelly,Feb 23 2006, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the advice on the oil. I'll definitely try to check that, although not sure how. Somehow "Are you idiots putting the right oil in my diff?" doesn't sound tactful enough.

If I were you, I'd speak to HUK and demand that they make a technician available to oversee the work as you're very concerned about the part failing so many times. They will do this, I've had a technician out to check my car up in Newcastle when I had a problem.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go with the oil comments too - if it was me I'd check they had used the right oil before driving it (more than a couple of miles anyway). I'd do two things; ask them exactly what oil they have used in the diff (if its not "hypoid oil" don't drive the car away), and check the level when you get home and "smell it" (hypoid oil smells of sulphur). If either test is failed don't drive the car until the oil is changed for the right type (there are at least a couple of threads on this on the site).

Happy to help you check the oil level if you want and if you are not sure how/ don't have the right tools (it looks like you live in North Hampshire also, not too far from me).
Old 02-23-2006, 04:31 AM
reg

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Feb 23 2006, 05:04 AM
If I were you, I'd speak to HUK and demand that they make a technician available to oversee the work as you're very concerned about the part failing so many times. They will do this, I've had a technician out to check my car up in Newcastle when I had a problem.

Also the say to see what oil they are using is to ask for some to top up maybe?

Either way HUK have to fix this, 4 diffs is taking the p*ss quite frankly and I am amazed that they are merely 'monitoring'. Light the phone line up between you and them and ask for an independant dealer to carry out the work or like Bass said a supervised install. I think I would be moving away from the local dealer if it was me.

As for the Mufftang before you buy one please test one, I have driven a few different versions in the US over the years and they are an er......acquired taste. Over here I wouldn't touch one with a long stick with an extension on the end
Old 02-23-2006, 04:34 AM

How do you know if your diff needs replacing? Sounds stupid, but a genuine question - how can I tell?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:41 AM

And the Mustang's a redneck's car

Quick Reply: Limited Life Diff