UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

lightweight flywheel's

Old 09-14-2010, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lightweight flywheel's

as the clutch on my S is on it's last legs,iv purchased a act clutch and i was going to fit a lightweight flywheel whilest the box was out.Which brings me to a question has anyone on here used or using a lighter flywheel and whats it like as there are so many differant weight's?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe that a lightweight flywheel will make the car more difficult to drive as a daily driver.

At some point the OEM flywheel changed beween MY models and gained a bit of weight. When I had my ACT clutch installed I went for the original OEM flywheel and the car drives just like stock ... which was what I wanted.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:59 AM

Having installed lightweight flywheels on a number of vehicles (including an ITR and Prelude Motegi), I can tell you that the driveability doesn't suffer at all.

However, the revs do drop faster between changes so you will need to be quicker in order to match.

Toe & heeling is easier as well.

Lighter the better though
Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by eSeM,Sep 14 2010, 01:29 PM
At some point the OEM flywheel changed beween MY models and gained a bit of weight.
The flywheel part number is the same for all UK MY S2000s:

22100-PCX-005

So the flywheel has never changed on UK S2000s.

In the US, the S used this flywheel until 2003.

In 2004 when the AP2 was released the flywheel changed to:

22100-PZX-005

and I believe is around twice as heavy.

Chris.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 AM

That makes sense, I was getting the info from the FI forum ....
Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus,Sep 14 2010, 04:59 AM
Having installed lightweight flywheels on a number of vehicles (including an ITR and Prelude Motegi), I can tell you that the driveability doesn't suffer at all.

However, the revs do drop faster between changes so you will need to be quicker in order to match.

Toe & heeling is easier as well.

Lighter the better though
so it doesn't matter how light of a flywheel i get then,and what would they mean by affect to daily drive???? in what way would it affect?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For a completely flat 'track' yes for the road 'no' - well IMO, on a road I'd rather have over-all driveabilty.

I haven't fitted one before, but i know the theory behind them and there are a few people i have heard who have regretted it.

I dont agree with Ron though, lighter the better. Obviously more get up and go with a lighter flywheel, but too light and driveability will suffer possibly more so as the flywheel will be quite light to begin with - Honda have used little tricks like this.

I do agree with Ron about the revs, after all its just heavy disc.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by andy s2k,Sep 14 2010, 10:25 AM
so it doesn't matter how light of a flywheel i get then,and what would they mean by affect to daily drive???? in what way would it affect?
A benefit of the lightened fly is that it takes less inertia to get it going, thus it helps enable the engine to rev up more quickly.

Where every action has it's reaction, so this advantage has a disadvantage - the drivetrain has less inertia once it's up and running, so it reduces more quickly when you lift of the throttle (relatively speaking) - making it more prone to stalling (in theory at least).

Remember - theory and practice are the same in theory, but not in practice...
Old 09-14-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a Fidanza flywheel (8lbs) with an ACT 6 puck clutch and it was absolutely rubbish in traffic! Hill starts were a nightmare as the clutch was just like an ON/OFF button! It had no play or travel whatsoever.

On the other hand I'm using a Competition Clutch stage 2 with an 11lbs flywheel and the car is as driveable as stock but does have a slighty quicker pickup.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:29 PM

Seriously - i'd recommend getting one.

Rotation weight is poop and you don't want it.

Yes, at low revs, it will stall easier, but it's not as if the S is a difficult car to drive.

In the cars I have driven with light flywheels in, they present no issues whatsoever

Quick Reply: lightweight flywheel's