UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Letting other people drive your car

Old 03-06-2013, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no problem with letting people drive my car. My family and friends have also crashed my cars - Mrs broke the S2000 cousin crashed the Westfield, mate of mine drove my old civic into a post. S2K_Nut drove my car once and had me telling him not to brake into a corner and put his foot down!!

Everyone who has driven the Westfield has spun it off the track, most of the time I have seen it coming, and braced before it has happened!

Like Chippo says, it's just a car.

On the other side I have driven many other people's cars never crashed them though!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 PM

The only person who gets to drive mine, because I have no choice is the MOT tester. And even then I stay around and watch like a hawk.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I let fat bloke drive mine,he loved the boost and he,s a better driver then myself.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
I have no problem with letting people drive my car. My family and friends have also crashed my cars - Mrs broke the S2000 cousin crashed the Westfield, mate of mine drove my old civic into a post. S2K_Nut drove my car once and had me telling him not to brake into a corner and put his foot down!!

Everyone who has driven the Westfield has spun it off the track, most of the time I have seen it coming, and braced before it has happened!

Like Chippo says, it's just a car.

On the other side I have driven many other people's cars never crashed them though!
Bwahahaha that was too funny R888 tyres on, bucket seats, lowered .... like shit to a blanket!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:13 PM

Haha. Definitely two schools of thought on this one.

It's hard not to get emotionally involved with the car but at the end of the day. It's only a car and can be fixed or replaced.

I'll let people I trust drive it on a track (which has safe run offs) with the agreement of you break it you pay. Lets face it, less and less s2000s worth more than £10k out there and mine us worth well under half of that. It's for having fun in and the track is one of the best places for that.

All that said.. I did give her an earful when we came too a standstill. "What part of slow down your too fast, did you not understand?". Lol
Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBolts
Originally Posted by mr-pitts' timestamp='1362588010' post='22384350
I wouldnt let anybody drive mine.But credit to you for letting her have a go, My mum would have struggled to climb in never mind drive it.
without wishing to put a downer on your project but even you can't drive yours.

Ok Fair point I shall rephrase.... If it was running I wouldn't, but having said that Daytona Dave might have to take it for a MOT once he has set the geo. but he is a bit of an old man, so I don't think that counts
Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1 person drives my S and for two reasons,

1 I usually need a few extra seats so I'll swap with his DC5.

2 if he bins my S I get to keep his DC5 till its fixed.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I've let various people drive any of my cars, from an S2000 to a few Ferraris, Maserati Quattroporte, E39 M5, a couple of EVOs, etc. I know who I can trust and if something went wrong it would be an accident that could just have easily happened to me. As long as the car is legally insured it's the risk I take and when it would hurt me to lose the value of the car (worst case scenario) then that'll be the day I'll stop doing it. Since I have one or two megapurchases in mind before I hang up my driving gloves, the loss of which WOULD hurt, my policy might change, but I still think I'll let one or two people have a drive because I know how much pleasure it would give them.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:18 AM

It's a car, anyone can drive it in the dry.
They need to know how to drive before I let them drive it in cold / wet conditions.
Not because I'm bothered about the car, more because I'm worried about their safety.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only let my ex drive mine and that was only because I was so hungover I couldn't see straight!!

Quick Reply: Letting other people drive your car