UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

LED Brake Light

Old 08-13-2010, 01:03 AM
MI5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Brake Light

Whilst admiring my arse, thats the car's arse by the way, reflected in a plate glass window last night I realised the led brake light on the boot lid was not working. The brake lights were ok, but not the led. This morning I checked the connection and it seems fine, brake lights work, so its not the fuse.
Anyone else had the led go on them? Heavens knows when it stopped working, and I am a bit surpised as I thought a couple of leds might go, but not the lot.

Asked Honda the cost, as I could do with a laugh, with all the discounts in the world, it still comes to £293 So wont be doing that then. Hopefully, it will be a wiring fault..........................
Old 08-13-2010, 01:26 AM

It's unusual for all the LEDs to die at once on a brake light.
Normally some of them might die but others still be fine – at least that's my experience in other cars.
Unless the law has changed you can pass an MOT with lots of the LEDs not working as long as some do. I'm not sure if it just needs one working, or some % of the whole.

In my old Pug 306 the lights were dieing off 1 by 1.
It was a sealed unit so you had to replace the whole lot at once and it was about as expensive as you've been quoted.

It could be worth getting down there with a voltage tester and checking the cables that go to the brake light – if you haven't already.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:38 AM
MI5

Did the electrics check this morning and found no power was getting to the light. Did a bridging link from the brake lights and the leds lit, so definitely a wire problem. Reasoned out roughly where a break might be and opened up the harness and bingo, I had gone right to it, the wire had snapped in two, so clearly had been under tension. 5 minutes more and all fixed.

For future reference, the wire had snapped just past where it is attached to the left boot hinge with a tie going into the boot and just before it joins the loom for the brake lights. Obviously this bit moves as the boot is open and shut and must have been in tension for some time. Probably allowing the boot to open a bit strongly, in the wind perhaps, caused it to stretch and snap. The rest of the wires in the loom were quite loose, so quite strange, but anyway, sorted.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:16 PM

I found the same fault in the same place when my boot solenoid stopped working. As far as i can remember I found 2 broken wires. Fixed them both and boot works fine now. Never thought that one of them could have been the led light.

Think I will go check them just to make sure they work....