UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Leaky rear shock

Old 09-25-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky rear shock

Hi all.

MOT is due end of next week, and while my S2K was up in ramps having new front tyres fitted, I took the chance to have a quick look at the rear suspension, which has been knocking for a while. The bottom mount for the passenger side shock appeared to be damp - I'd kind of assumed the problem was more likely to be a bush - so it looks like it is leaking and replacement of rear shocks is needed.

Now obviously this would be a simple move if Honda shocks weren't, well, so shockingly priced - how is that legal?! I'd probably rather not go down the aftermarket route, the OEM setup is fine for me, but would I be daft to pay those prices from Honda?

Anyone else bought any recently (what did you pay), or anyone fitted some aftermarket ? Added complication for a used set is that I gather that the fitment changed over the years, and my car is a '99, so used ones will probably be in a similar state to mine!

Cheers, Wayne.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:24 PM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Not many options really. 2nd hand OEM are circa £150 for 4. New OEM, as you've pointed out, are hideously expensive (worth checking US suppliers though, see MB's coil pack thread). Or aftermarket. Personally, I've gone aftermarket and the driving experience is much improved. On a softer spring (6 or 8kg/mm rather than 10 that I have), the ride will probably be better than OEM and improve the handling too. On a car as, um, 'experienced' as yours, the suspension will be wallowy compared to new anyway, even if you haven't noticed the gradual decline. So whatever you fit, you'll notice it a bit more controlled and 'perky'. Aftermarket shocks start at around £600 for low/mid range set (don't buy super cheap) and up to £3k for very high quality. Probably diminishing returns after £1500 though. I have Meister R (as have a fair few people on here) and KW v3 is a popular more expensive choice.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:11 AM

Someone on here posted a thread a few weeks ago with aftermarket shocks for about £50.00 each from a motor factors. I think they were Monroe or similar.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:21 AM

I was in the same position as you, although mine snuck through the MOT. I set-up a few alerts on eBay and managed to snag a full set of OEM suspension from an 06 car with sub 60k for £80!

When I had them changed it turned out both rear suspension were leaking which explained me feeling unimpressed with the cars handling recently. While they were being swapped I also had Eibach springs fitted, seemed silly not to as the car was already in pieces.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by tonksy
I was in the same position as you, although mine snuck through the MOT. I set-up a few alerts on eBay and managed to snag a full set of OEM suspension from an 06 car with sub 60k for £80!

When I had them changed it turned out both rear suspension were leaking which explained me feeling unimpressed with the cars handling recently. While they were being swapped I also had Eibach springs fitted, seemed silly not to as the car was already in pieces.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bettarn
Originally Posted by tonksy' timestamp='1380187291' post='22797268

Missing a reply on here? Or am I going mad..... which is quite possible.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:21 AM

Thanks for the answers folks.

Yeah the handling is pretty sloppy at the moment and no doubt is far from what it was new (although it's only coming up to 90K miles).

Just checked with Honda and new shocks are 300 + VAT each.... ouch. Still may be favoured option though, given how late I've left it.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by tonksy
Originally Posted by Bettarn' timestamp='1380187750' post='22797273
[quote name='tonksy' timestamp='1380187291' post='22797268']

Missing a reply on here? Or am I going mad..... which is quite possible.
[/quote]

Sorry Tonksy, not sure what happened there!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:25 AM

That's £700+, plus fitting for just the rears. At that money I'd just get a set of Meister coilovers.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:45 AM

eBay item number 400488875427

Any good?

Quick Reply: Leaky rear shock