UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Lack of interest in Meets

Old 03-29-2010, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of interest in Meets

I've organised some great meets over the years. We've done a weekend meet in the North-East/West/Borders every year since 2004 and regularly get well over 10 cars, with around 20 cars usually registering interest.

Unfortunately, I've just cancelled this years weekend meet because I think we'd be lucky to get 4 cars. It's a shame, but the logistics of organising a two day meet means that it's just not worth the effort for that many cars.

Is this just my meet, or are people generally losing interest in hooning around the countryside? Could the price of fuel be putting people off?

I'd be interested to know, as I may try and reorganise later in the year
Old 03-29-2010, 03:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The monthly Herts meet is busier than ever, but that is a non-driving, social meet.

Could it be a consequence of the shite weather?

Old 03-29-2010, 03:47 AM

I can only speak for myself here, but since moving into my flat other things have taken precedence over attending meets. It's a shame though, as I really miss them. I just have different priorities, and spending >£200 for a weekend in the car just ain't going to happen as often anymore.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:48 AM

Unfortunately the date wasn't good due to sister's 40th birthday party otherwise would definitely have been attending.

Fuel / hotel etc could be a deciding factor for a lot of people though.

We've had to cancel Arran and can't go to Isle of Man because we are driving to Italy again this year - unfortunately can't do it all.

If it was re-arranged then I would definitely attend (assuming I'm not doing anything else!)
Old 03-29-2010, 03:52 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Rutland was busy, Ricky Runs are busy and the local pub meets *very* busy too.

Been very busy down this way Neil. My Dad found that N Wales meet was quiet too. Maybe it is the North/South divide

I think it is weather related, let's hope spring puts a step into people

Megameet was slow to start with for registrations, but things have hotted up in recent weeks.

And immediate take up for car limits day too, so much so it is oversubscribed and we may be organising another.

What we need is someone up north to co-ordinate some things, like Harrier is doing the Japscene and Haroon some things down here.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:52 AM

I’m looking forward to meeting some of the people in the forum.
I want to have a drink with them, look at the shiny cars, compare bumpers and dashboards and put names to faces.
Maybe even take a passenger ride in different cars to compare models or tyres to see how they vary.

I’m looking forward to the airfield day where I can buzz around a track and get some tips and tell some jokes and maybe spin my car and have everyone laugh at me.

However, I’m not interested in a spirited drive with a group of people along B roads.
There’s too much traffic, too many nutters on the road, too many speedcameras.
I don’t want to have an arsehole behind me making me speed not have an arsehole in front of me racing out of sight ….. and I don’t want to be that arsehole to someone else.

I’d actually say that for a spirited drive I’d rather have just 3 or 4 cars with people I know and trust in the mini convoy than a larger group of people.

That said… some sort of sunny day S2000 based treasure hunt could be fun.
10 cars. 20 special locations. Each car heading for a different one first, with different routes to the places crossing over each other.
Bonus points for taking pictures of other S2000s as you cross paths.
All meeting for breakfast, then lunch, then ending up at the same hotel for prizes and beers.
Something like that anyway… but I’m not interested in a big convoy of cars all driving the same route, all getting stuck behind the same mondeo.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:55 AM

BTW - if I ever do meet you at a meet I'm going to be disappointed if you don’t look like the face in your avatar.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:57 AM

I just had a look back at the last 6 years

2004 - 24 cars
2005 - 12 cars
2006 - 17 cars
2007 - 19 cars
2008 - 26 cars
2009 - 17 cars

And I appreciate that people can't make it on certain dates, but the thread this year has been unbelievably quiet.

Thanks to everyone that signed up for this year, sorry to let you down

BTW Rob, my last few meets have been branded as Slow and run at the speed limit at safe driving speeds
Old 03-29-2010, 03:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't that is the case Neil.

The first Rutland Water meet was a resounding success and some of the regular meets in the South, such as the Ricky, Sussex and Herts meets all have a good turnout.

My theory is that where a meet is taking place over 2 days, people are less reluctant to commit a whole weekend; the alternative theory is that the Northerners just cant be asked with the whole meets thing anymore

PS May 2010 is very busy in terms of meets/events this year and people are skint!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 AM

If you ask pretty much anyone who has been on one of my meets, the 2 day aspect is the best thing about them. Some relaxed driving in nice scenery followed by food a few beers and getting to know people.

I wouldn't be interested in organising a one day meet (I've done a few) although people are welcome to come along to as much or as little as they like.

Quick Reply: Lack of interest in Meets