UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Koni STR.T Suspension Kit

Old 05-17-2021, 01:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Koni STR.T Suspension Kit

Hello, I struggling (again) to understand how this kit goes together, the instructions are rubbish and I rang Kona and they werent much use either. Found the following similar threads but they are slightly different issues. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...street-shocks- 1121764/ https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...1207794/page2/

Once sorted I'll put a photo up of eveything in order for future reference for others.

The rears. The kit comes with a clear plastic sleeve that goes on the tapered part of the damper shaft, I'm unsure if and where to put the OEM metal washer that also fits on the the tapered shaft (shown on the stock damper in the photo). My thinking is that the clear plastic thing will get broken by the metal bit when tighten up? The dust cover has a large black metal washer on the stock set-up - is this required on the new since the kit comes with a similar sized washer.

Rear. This is the order I think it should go.

Rear. Instructions on the clear plastic sleeve.

Rear. Aseembled as per the last photo (without the rubber spring boot thing). I doesnt seem there will be much preload on the spring - is that right?

Front. The new damper has a larger diamter shaft so the rubber things that go either side of the top hat don't fit and appear to be moulded together. The kit has a curved washer (bottom left in photo) that doesnt fit properly anywhere.

Front. New spring and damper

Front. OEM spring and damper.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:39 AM

Front. Rubber "things" don't fit over the larger damper shaft.

Front. The new curved washer doesn't fit nicely anywhere.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:28 PM

Dampers longer than stock

New springs clearly shorter

Assembled, the new ones are longer than stock? The other issue is that there's so little pre-tension I just pushed it down with one hand and put the nut on with the other.

Dampers longer than stock

The puzzle order I decided on

Discovered that you're meant to enlarge the OEM... of course, no mention of this in the "instructions"

drilled out

Any help will be appreciated, before I throw the towel in and sell it as is lol
Old 05-20-2021, 01:32 PM

The box says AP1 but looking on Demon Tweeks and H&R website the psrings are the same part number for both AP1 and AP2.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:43 PM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Can you search for Koni yellow install, should be similar and might give some better insight/documentation
Old 07-07-2021, 03:32 AM

Hello. To conclude this thread that I started, below are photos of the order of the various new and re-used OEM parts. I binned off the clear plastic shroud things. The new set-up is longer and initially the car was noticeably higher than stock, but after driving it a little bit it's settled down. All in all the Koni instructions are worse than useless as they confuse things, and Koni UK are just importers or distributors so could help either, but I got there eventually.
The ride is hard to compare since I did the all the bushes and suspension at the same time, the ride is plusher on smooth roads with tiny bumps, big bumps feel like big bumps, the car sticks undulating roads better in that it's more composed but because there's less bounce you feel more through the seat etc.

Clearly longer off the vehcile

Front (I think) has a welded on ring that the top tightens against.

Rear (I think) has a tapered section and a washer that the top mounted tighens against.

Height looks OK IMO, I'd prefer 10mm higher if I had the option.

Forgot the centre caps, I think it looks better from a far but up close obviously there's just a rusty wheel nut etc
The following users liked this post:
Arussto (09-02-2023)