UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

knocking from rocker cover

Old 05-07-2013, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking from rocker cover

hi every one im new to to the site,
was out on a track day a few weeks a go about 3 hours in my f20c start misfiring and cut out, i then started it again to hear a small not knocking noise but a clicking noise coming from the rear of the rocker cover, i have a good guess that something is wrong with the valves hopefully they are only bent and have not broken and hit the pistons has anyone had the same problem
thanks
Old 05-07-2013, 03:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was bent valves then it'd run like a bag of s**t, and if that was the case, more than likely you've dinged a piston

If you say it's more of a ticking/tapping noise then, personally, i'd look at checking valve clearances first as they can get pretty noisy from my experience. Hopefully it'll be nothing major!
Old 05-07-2013, 03:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How's your oil level?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 AM

RobAp1, it was misfiring a bit but it was only running on tick over and as soon as i heard the ticking noise i turned it off so cant really say if it was running like s@@t the ticking noise was not that loud, hopefully it is just the valve clearance, is their any way of telling the valves are bent when the rocker cover is off or will i have to take the head off, I'm able to do it my self is their any blogs on here for a steep by steep how to check the valve clearance and to take the head off what sequence to un bolt the head, torque settings for bolting it back up ect..

loftust the oil has not been changed in a while but the level is ok

thanks for the feed back guys
Old 05-07-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way to know without removing the head is a compression test and a leak down test

Joeh
Old 05-09-2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Joeh
The only way to know without removing the head is a compression test and a leak down test

Joeh
thank ill get that done
Old 05-17-2013, 03:24 PM

well i now know what is wrong with the engine, a screw has some how managed to get through the inlet luckily it was to big to fit past the valve but it has snapped and a small bit of it has gone in, i wont know the extent of the damage till i take the head off, so hopefully it has not put big dints into anything if its not to bad ill put it back together and get it compression test and hopefully ill be away ill up load some picks of the cylinder to see what you guys think,

now all i need to know is the order to unbolt the head bolts and how many 1/4 turns to turn the bolts need so the head wont go out of shape also I've never had to deal with a timing chain before is it just the same as a belt, loosen the tensioner and take it off or dose it have to be split ??? id be very thankful if anyone can advise and tips or things to take special care of while doing this
Old 05-17-2013, 03:44 PM

hey there are is a diy on timing chain removal do a search bud,

A screw in the inlet manifold how the heck has that got there its a sealed unit unless you've stripped it off and dropped a screw in it, just hope its not side down the side of the piston and scrapping the barrel, fingers crossed for you bud
Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 PM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Do you think it could be worthwile geting aUSB endoscope and a magnet on a stick - then go in through the spark plug hole ?
Old 05-18-2013, 12:35 AM

its not from the timing chain, it was used to hold a crappy air filter in place, its not possible for something to come off the chain and end up in the cylinder.
I've tried to go through the spark plug hole but my magnet is to big its not worth it any way head has to come off need to see if the piston is ok
thanks guys

Quick Reply: knocking from rocker cover