UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Knock when engine is cold

Old 01-29-2010, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock when engine is cold

Hi there, my names James. I've had an S2000 for a few years now but only found out about this forum when I was advised by a friend when quizzing him about my unusual knock.

Sorry to come straight out with questions, I'll do my best to get some pictures and info of my car when I get a chance to wash it (as adviced by my friend). It is only a standard S2000 though so I doubt anyone is too bothered.

Back to the problem, I hope someone can help advise me.

I've noticed, since a couple of weeks ago when the weather got very cold that when the engine is stone cold after an over night stint or from being left while I'm in work....

There is a slight knock coming from the engine bay. It sounds like bottom end knock and shows itself when the engine is rev'd from idle upto 2500 rpms. It doesn't do it when idling and after a mile or so it disappears as the engine gets warmer?

The oil is checked every few days and its at high mark, the car is never driver hard until its warm etc. The engine uses little oil and doesn't smoke, power feels fine.

I have become very paranoid about it and am worried about the engine

I am conscious that it could be the rod bearings but also perplexed that it only does it for a small about of time. Surely a problem as prominent as bottom end failure would case a knock when warm and when under load? Also i would imagine it would have gotten worse as I do over 250 miles a week in the car.

Any advice and information is great appreciated.

Sorry again for storming in straight away with questions, I do not trust my Honda garage for advice anymore due to some past incidents when my car was with them.

James.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 AM

Received 647 Likes on 563 Posts

there's no good news in that kind of noise mate

you say you've only had the car a few years and it's an 02 so you don't know it's been looked after prior to your cherishing it.

When cold the parts aren't all expanded in the engine so knocks will be more prominent. if i were guessing i'd say piston slap or a bottom end bearing/ compression test might be worthwhile (when cold)