UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

K&N Typhoon kit

Old 08-09-2012, 06:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default K&N Typhoon kit

Morning all

Was wondering about the above, as I can get them direct from suppliers, they're quite an appealing price.

Has anyone got one fitted at all? Any good? Much difference in sound than with the airbox lid off would you say?

Regards

Tom
Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Tom,

Find an authorized dealer, always cheaper. Hell, I just ordered my K&N FIPK II off of ebay. $210 shipped. Ebay is great as long as you know what to look for (i.e. ratings, Authorized dealer, google, etc).

Taking off the "LID" is great for sound, robs power for sure, and MPG. I was very negative to some, thinking it was not going to hurt anything. I stand corrected. But, now the lid is on and intake is coming in soon. As for the sound, its better IMHO. Youtube some videos of it see what you think.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:55 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

If it looks like this then I have one and it sounds awesome in vtec, no idea about comparison with a lid-off air box as the previous owner had it fitted before I got it.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:13 AM

Morning again

This is the one I am on about here K&N typhoon

Knock about £50 or so off that price
Old 08-10-2012, 02:54 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Hiya,

When I looked into buying mine I was informed the Typhoon's are the older version.
You might want to look at the K&N FIPK Gen II (the newer version).

Will be more expensive but very much worth it

Minvo.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:03 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

All I can say about mine (K&N 57i I think) is that it can suffer from heat after sitting in queuing traffic for a bit - so I'd go for a cold air feed like the one you are looking at if I was going to do it again (which I'm not - it doesn't bother me that much )
Old 08-10-2012, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by minvo
Hiya,

When I looked into buying mine I was informed the Typhoon's are the older version.
You might want to look at the K&N FIPK Gen II (the newer version).

Will be more expensive but very much worth it

Minvo.
I never seen the point of that FIPK kit, it's looks like a glorified OEM setup.

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
All I can say about mine (K&N 57i I think) is that it can suffer from heat after sitting in queuing traffic for a bit - so I'd go for a cold air feed like the one you are looking at if I was going to do it again (which I'm not - it doesn't bother me that much )
Exactly what I was thinking, least there will be some air getting to in
Old 08-10-2012, 05:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the short ram version of the typhoon and I love it! It does suffer with heat soak in traffic, but as has been said here already, I don't care. Oh and it sounds brilliant when the VTEC kicks in. I have some videos from inside the car here
Old 08-10-2012, 07:27 AM

I have this intake, it is excellent, but I would have preferred the short ram version simply because the installation would have been easier.

You have to cut a hole in the trim underneath the car as the air filter actually sits in the bumper. Pretty much cures any heat soak issues, sounds awesome and IMO improved the performance. But some say it is just psychological because the sounds is amazing.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:45 PM

Appreciate this is a bit of a thread revival !!

Did you go with the Typhoon - if so what's it like if not why not and what did you fit?

Cheers

Rog

Quick Reply: K&N Typhoon kit