UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

K&N FIPK install

Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fitted mine this week it sound very loud. I didnt bother with a ECU reset
Old 02-24-2012, 09:27 AM
MSC

All done and surprisingly for me no issues! All ok and idles fine, sounds great, more throttle response, best bday gift ever! There goes my mpg and up goes my petrol bill though!!

One thing: I couldn't close the gap between the filter base and hole in heatshield, the intake pipe is too long. Enough space for heatsoak? I hope not
Old 02-24-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the same kit and fitted without ECU reset.

I remember someone who fitted it and cut the intake pipe shorter so it fitted snug against the heat shield. Looked tidy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by MSC
sounds great = placebo more throttle response
EFA.

Don't kid yourself and just enjoy the noise
Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 PM
MSC

Been really enjoying this intake so far, much better than lid off!

One issue though: Went out for a drive today, quite a bit of stop/start traffic etc. Had a fair bit of heat soak/bogging/hesitation. Now I expected this last summer in HEAT and with the OEM box lid removed but surely not in current temps with an FIPK?

Went out again earlier on about 10pm, no traffic, pulling out of a junction major hesitation, had to give it a few good blips of the throttle to get going.

So what have I done wrong? Install went OK, no engine management light coming on, no weird noises from engine bay (slight hoover noise from the filter!).

My ECU was reset during installation, afterwards I let her sit on idle for 7/8 mins. Since then I have put £10 of petrol in, would this affect ECU learning - related?

Or my only other idea - map sensor?

Today I also installed a front strut brace and had to pull back park of the FIPK heat shield metal in order to clear a nut on the brace, I dont see this being a problem.

*Little* bit paranoid now.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:19 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Engine air under bonnet is quite warm enough to cause heatsoak - blip the throttle before you pull off to clear any warm air out of the intake and throttle body and all will be fine.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:27 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't get that with mine, but then I don't have a Honda ECU.

Have to remember that the K&N is still really an open filter, open to engine bay heat...
Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 AM

Never had that issue with my FIPK on standard ECU, even in 32C of British summer. Drive it more through the rev range and see if the ECU relearns.

I never unplugged my battery either. Didn't see the need.

Oh yeh and tell me about fitting a front brace, for something so cosmetic it does and half prove a headache with the FIPK!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:35 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

clean your map sensor and make sure the little hole that it fits in is clean all the way through. what was the ambient temp?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:06 AM
MSC

Temps I dont know, not that advanced or have the equipment sadly.

I will now try: seating the box a little higher on the bracket as the oversized holes allow this, the bonnet underside may not be making contact with the rubber trim.

Next, a full tank of fuel as I have only put a bit in since I reset ecu (she runs low on fuel often as I'm hard up).

Next, drive for a bit and use full rev range, a few motorway blasts will do it. Yesterday was all city centre blips showing off and much traffic stop start traffic.

Next, will investigate map sensor, tapping or removal and a 'blow'.

Beyond that I can't think of anything else.

One thing perhaps. I have MY00, I did not drill a hole in the intake pipe for the IAT sensor as I couldn't find it and upon installation I had no excess plugs, everything was secured so I assumed It was a step not intended for my year model. Error?

Re: strut brace, looks messy having the edge of intake housing pushed in in order to accommodate the brave nut. Been looking for an excuse to buy a dremel!

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK install