UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Keeping the rear plastic window flexible?

Old 04-22-2006, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping the rear plastic window flexible?

Put my roof down a couple of months ago when cold and when putting back up there was like a stress mark in the plastic rear window. Did the same yesterday and on putting the roof back up the stress mark is still there.

Is there anything to apply to the window to keep it supple, I use the BMW window cleaner not sure if it makes any difference though?

Cheers
Dave
Old 04-22-2006, 05:08 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a set of velcro straps that are supposed to keep the screen taut and a mat in the roof well so it keeps it clean and scratch free, then as you have already said use the BMW plastic screen cleaner/restorer. I also give it a kettle of boiling water now and again to soften and remove any creases that occur. Always take care when operating the roof when its cold as it can crack.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:22 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

It's a good idea to put a roll in when you lower the roof so that the plastic window curves rather than folding sharply at the vital part. You can buy custom-made bits of sponge rubber or a 3" diameter A2 document holder or the cardboard tube from a giant size roll of toilet paper will do You should park a piece of soft fleece or such on the bottom of the window well, which is hard and will scratch the window.

To remove the oxidation use a cleaner such as BMW's (or there is a Honda part whose number escapes me - FAQs?). I use a solution from these people.

Flexiblity: there was an early official Honda piece of advice to remove creases (of course if the plastic is badly scarred you might be stuffed). Pour off-the-boil but still hot water over the window followed by cold water. Expansion the contraction should stretch the creases out.

HTH,
Rog
Old 04-22-2006, 05:40 AM
Banned

My window is looking very dodgy at the moment. There's a noticeable hump in the middle, and at the top, two stress points that look like they've been prodded with a stick. On both of those points the window has lost its transparency.

So in addition to a 1k bill for bushes, and a vibrating clutch (probably another 1k when it goes), my rear window is about to let go (around
Old 04-22-2006, 07:45 AM

Gaz try what i said about pouring a kettle of boiled water over the window. Slowly across the top of the window and let it run down. It will soften the screen and the bumps, creases ect will go, I open the roof about half way when it starts to tighten up again so the curve will go back in the natural position.

If you think a Honda is expensive to run wait until you get a bill from Porsche.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ade73,Apr 22 2006, 04:45 PM
Gaz try what i said about pouring a kettle of boiled water over the window. Slowly across the top of the window and let it run down. It will soften the screen and the bumps, creases ect will go, I open the roof about half way when it starts to tighten up again so the curve will go back in the natural position.

If you think a Honda is expensive to run wait until you get a bill from Porsche.
I'll definitely try that mate, thanks. Will I wait a while after the kettle's boiled first, or just pour it out as soon as it's boiled? Also should I put cold water on it straight away? That sounds a bit harsh on the plastic. I'd be tempted to leave it alone to cool itself.

I know what you mean.

I'll be going for as young a car as I can, and will have a proper Porsche warranty. Should take a lot of the pain out of the experience. I'm just in a bad mood with the S2K cos a lot has gone wrong at once.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:06 AM

Cheers guys, after a clean and then hot water followed by cold water and BMW cleaner, no more creases

Had to take on a drive as well just to be sure every thing was okay ...gorgous weather out there
Old 04-22-2006, 09:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dave99,Apr 22 2006, 06:06 PM
Cheers guys, after a clean and then hot water followed by cold water and BMW cleaner, no more creases

Had to take on a drive as well just to be sure every thing was okay ...gorgous weather out there
Straight from the kettle, or what? How hot mate?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:12 AM

Kettle 3/4 full and boil then add an inch or two of cold water, poor over plastic water was hot and at first I thought , but no probs
Old 04-22-2006, 09:51 AM

Full kettle right after its boiled. I let it cool by itself no cold water. After you see the plastic getting tight again, lower the roof half way or until the screen starts to fold where it should and leave to set.

My mate had a

Quick Reply: Keeping the rear plastic window flexible?