UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Kangarooing replacement part no ?

Old 04-20-2002, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had a problem last week - the first of this type in a long while.
Had been driving quite hard then entered some residential roads. Dropped off my work colleague at his house then encountered a horse and rider. Followed them at a crawl for a few minutes, then had an opportunity to drive past. So I gently accelerated and had a head snapping moment as the car lurched a couple of times then was fine. But because it pissed me off I drove like a nutter on and off the throttle most of the way home, but the car behaved itself.
Next time out no problems. My previous experience has been a slight hesitation when very hot and had the Kangarooing only when new and running on regualr unleaded (perhaps once since I'm not sure).

Not especially worried about this. If it was regular I would have a different view though...
Old 04-21-2002, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]I dunno, but baggsie I don't have Steve travelling behind me on 12th May
Old 05-12-2002, 01:15 PM

I get this bunny-hopping problem, have been on Optimax since it came out, two gearbox, clutch, loom, ecu and MAP's replaced. ECU improved things but now a month later back as before, I hit two regular queues on my commute both at least 50 yards and both times it will hop. Dealer is in agreement with me that it is a dangerous problem and its back in soon for further tests after which ('cos I don't expect it to be fixed) I am going after Honda big time, dealer has been great, Honda not so. You would think they had the resource to test and fix this, it's not like there aren't enough cars with the problem. Has anyone considered contacting any of the Watchdog/TopGear type people about this problem and the lack of Honda help?
Old 05-12-2002, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by TNT Wood
I get this bunny-hopping problem, have been on Optimax since it came out, two gearbox, clutch, loom, ecu and MAP's replaced. ECU improved things but now a month later back as before, I hit two regular queues on my commute both at least 50 yards and both times it will hop. Dealer is in agreement with me that it is a dangerous problem and its back in soon for further tests after which ('cos I don't expect it to be fixed) I am going after Honda big time, dealer has been great, Honda not so. You would think they had the resource to test and fix this, it's not like there aren't enough cars with the problem. Has anyone considered contacting any of the Watchdog/TopGear type people about this problem and the lack of Honda help?
Have you written to Honda (UK)? If not, I suggest that you do. Make it clear that your dealer has been unable to troubleshoot the problem and that you are not prepared to continue the trial and error method of resolution. Ask Honda (UK) thenselves to investigate the problem and replace whatever is required. Why have you had two gearboxes replaced? That sounds like clutching at straws if it was to solve the hesitation. If you are writting to Honda, you should describe exactly what happens ... does it surge, cut-out, miss fire or just falter a little? What rpm, what speed / gear. There can be many causes, some to do with the bleed circuit, or you may have a leak or blockage in the intake system.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:57 AM

Why have you had two gearboxes replaced? That sounds like clutching at straws if it was to solve the hesitation
Original gearbox developed a whine when decelerating, but 1st replacement couldn't get in 2nd or 6th, so another one went in and a clutch. Dealer was hoping it would fix hesitation but didn't, loom and exhaust sensors changed at same time.

Many thanks for the advice on writing to Honda UK, I have already warned the dealer that if Honda aren't (IMO) helping them fix it, then we are going to kick some. I'll get the detail down, thanks.
Old 05-13-2002, 03:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TNT Wood
[B]
Old 05-13-2002, 03:34 AM
tnt

For what it's worth I haven't encountered this particular problem.

My S2000 has behaved itself at all speeds and in different traffic conditions (shame I can't say that about the driver )

I did buy her secondhand so maybe there were problems which had been fixed.

Is it possible that it is a particular batch of S2000s?