UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Kangarooing replacement part no ?

Old 04-19-2002, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kangarooing replacement part no ?

Does anyone have the replacement part no. for the hot car in traffic kangarooing problem - I believe it's a sensor of some kind , or is their an official TSB or something ?

My dealer hasn't heard about this one, and wants to get as much info as possible before talking to Honda UK about it.

Steve
Old 04-19-2002, 08:04 AM

Depends on the exact symptons. People have had the MAP sensor replaced, some it's been the idle valve, others the Heated oxygen sensors and loom. You will need to describe exactly what's happening, otherwise Honda are likely to respond that it's normal on a high performance car .
Old 04-19-2002, 09:04 AM

Or the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor has also been bandied around.

Spoke to my dealer about this the other day and was asked if the engine light had come on whilst it was happening, but as I didn't think it had he was quite dismissive of finding the solution.
Once the light comes on they can download the info from the car to diagnose the source of the problem.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:42 AM

I have the same problem, kangarooing at traffic speeds, is totally unpredictable.

I just change up and that smoothes it out.

Bit of a pain though as my daily commute is stop start traffic.

No engine light (Thankfully?)
Old 04-19-2002, 12:56 PM

I thought I was the only one suffering from this!

As before, I change up, although I also use my S2000 as a daily car and it gets very embarassing if I have passengers!!!!!!!

Can I get sued for whiplash?
Old 04-19-2002, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, but baggsie I don't have Steve travelling behind me on 12th May

(Only joking; sincerely hope you get it fixed by then Steve )
Old 04-19-2002, 01:12 PM

Its happens a lot to me too. Lots of articles about it on the site...

It does get a lot better with Shell Optimax (probably the Octane rating). E.g. I commute every day in London traffic I used to get it once a fortnight when using normal fuel, now its once every 2 months.

I think there is also an element of mechnical feedback... e.g. you foot starts jabbing the peddle when it kangaroos, which encourages it to kangaroo more, which increases your jabbing... etc...

Anyway, try Optimax, it may be the cure!
Old 04-19-2002, 01:28 PM

I always suggest Optimax to all performance car drivers but it seems to make little difference on the Jumping drive.

Shell Optimax is also between 98 and 100 RON according to Shell but as it can vary, it cannot give a true rating.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:16 PM

I don't believe there is only one fault. I drive my on optimax most of the time, I still get various hesitations. Sometimes the car dies on accelaration, another fault is that it surges, it also cuts when I lift off at low revs. Most of the hesitation seems to be at about 3,000 rpm Each of these faults could be described as kangarooing, but I belive they are individual faults. The weather can play a major factor, as the O2 problem is related to damp in the electrics!

Might using Optimax >98 octane, make the problem worse running at slow speed in heavy traffic? I imagine that the higher octane will cause a higher combustion temperature, could this increase the problems with heat soak?
Old 04-20-2002, 01:03 AM

I have also been using Optimax for a while and it doesn't seem to have made a diference to my kangarooing. Thankfully I only get it when pulling away in traffic on a warm/hot day, so it seems to be more about the air temp the car thinks its getting (ie sitting close to the car in front, I get warmer air from his exhaust, plus the ambient temp, which seems to cause my car to stumble).

But as Rob says, there seems to be different problems, caused by different things.

Quick Reply: Kangarooing replacement part no ?