UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

K&N FIPK Generation II

Old 02-07-2005, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N FIPK Generation II

Was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with the K&N FIPK G2 kit on their S2000...?

Just doing a little research at the moment, imminent buy due for a new CAI but only really hear on these forums it seems PRM or AEM V2 systems used..

i've had experience of the older K&N 57i on other cars and was considerably impressed, just wanted to know if their latest generation was up to scratch too.

Thanks if anyone has any knowledge or can steer me towards the correct decision on my 1st mod.

KGB.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:16 AM

I had one on my S2000, very nice unit, easy to fit, sounded very nice and as usual, top K&N quality. It gave me an increase in power around 4500-7000 rpm (only slight but defo noticable)

Email me if you want a price as i can get them.

dan@europaspares.com

Old 02-08-2005, 04:49 AM

I picked up the K&N FIPK 57-3514 for the S2000 on E-bay for $244.95US shipped. I wouldn't know what they sell for in the UK.

I have used K&N filters on a number of motorcycles and cars and have found them to be quality products and the FIPK for the S2000 Generation II product workmanship seems to also be quite good.

I did a write up on installation which is in the Technical area. It includes pictures and information on insulating the box and tubes and also includes dyno test results from former S2K owner 850. The thread is at https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...f=133&t=256141 .

It is an easy install and is completely reversible in about 30 minutes if needed for autocrossing or track days. If I sell or trade the car I will probably take it off.

I had expected an improvment in sound, but it is much better than I expected and a real plesant surprise. The FIPK makes the S2000 sound like it should have stock and although I have no scientific data, the throttle response also seems to be much better, although it may be the placebo effect at play.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Mi dos centavos
Old 02-08-2005, 05:49 AM

thanks to all for the response, much appreciated.. sounds like this could be the ideal 1st purchase for my recently aquired MY01.

Dan, you have mail.....
Very helpful with your great pics... looks better on the motor then I thought...

Thanks to you too Zeniac for lookin' in and for your link and personal experiences.

From both reponses it could be an easy decision!
Looks like the K&N family is gonna follow me to my VTEC life too...

KGB.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:23 AM

mmmmmm
Old 02-08-2005, 07:31 AM

How can you call this a CAI if its positioned where the old airbox was
Old 02-08-2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder' date='Feb 8 2005, 05:31 PM

it's slightly to the left
Old 02-08-2005, 08:01 AM

ahhhh an LAI

Old 02-08-2005, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder' date='Feb 8 2005, 10:31 AM
The K&N is similar to the Comptech. Unlike a Short RAM intake, the airbox is designed to provide less restriction and also draw the cooler air from the right side fender (from the cabin view) of the engine compartment and from the front of the bumper. This design is not as efficient in drawing cool air as a traditional CAI, however it does have other benefits, such as ease of installation, quick replacement of the OEM airbox (important for anyone that autocrosses or tracks their car as stock class) while still providing slight HP gains (see real world results of 850's dyno runs) and excellent sound, in a package that is very affordable.

Although it may not be an issue in the UK, here in the south Texas gulf coast, heat bog can become a problem with any system, including a traditional CAI. This is caused by heat transfer from the engine head to the intake manifold. To counteract this many members have installed an insulated intake gasket such as the Hondata product that is mentioned on this website to truly have better air heat management. This modification will do more for performance than an air intake, as it is in the launch where the S2000 is already disadvantaged. Although it is a pain to install, the price is very reasonable. I bought mine through the Hondata site for $67.00 US. One of the members has a really good explanation of this along with an install walk through at http://www.s2000.org/mods/insulator/ .
Old 02-08-2005, 10:12 AM

You'll get EXACTLY the same effect by buying a K&N replacement filter element and leaving the top off your airbox - for a lot less outlay...

Andy

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK Generation II