UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Just ordered a Saris Bones bike rack

Old 02-26-2009, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered a Saris Bones bike rack

Hi,

Just ordered myself a Saris Bones 2 cycle rack (after researching that they seem to fit ok on the S2K).

After a lot of price searches on the net I found these guys (Cycle Sports UK) came in as the cheapest at
Old 02-26-2009, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't bring myself to getting a small foldup bike and now I've pimped my daily MTB I don't like the idea of throwing it in the back of our truck or bolting it to the boat trailer.

I used to have a universal bike rack that would in theory fit on the S but I would not use it because it damaged my last car.

So I'd be interested to see piccys of the SB on your S and hear details of how you get on with it.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:50 AM

Me too

I use the 'S' as a 2nd car and I do alot of MTB'ing at weekend so I use the roof system on my other car which prevents me from using the S at weekends. Vicious circle!!

Would be very interested in seeing pictures with regards to where and how it touches the body work and also to hear your comments on ease of use.

What about a light board - do you need to fit one?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:56 AM

I'm not convinced that it won't damage the paint on the boot of the car (Looking at archive photos on google). I like the rest of you like MTBing and do a lot at the weekends leaving the S redundant and would be interested about in this rack if it doesn't damage my pride and joy in the process.

Looking forward to a review too
Old 02-26-2009, 05:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm working on a DIY one at the moment, but i need to finish the Console cover first and my other project. I need to get my arse into gear as im back at work in 3 weeks.

Theres only so much i can do with one strong arm
Old 02-26-2009, 05:27 AM
JMP

I've driven to Scotland and back twice with my MTB attached to a Saris Bones.

The Bones itself is a heavy, but sturdy well made piece of kit.

You definitely need to take care fitting it with regard to your paintwork and I'd suggest a blanket/towel over the boot opening onto the bumper whilst fitting.

Between each contact point I also put a piece of cut up microfibre towel for extra protection - i.e. under both pairs of feet which go on top of the boot lid and on the back of the lid, as well as further bits where the straps hook on to the front edge of the boot and also where they hook under the boot lid at the back, curved under the hook too in case the bones contacts the bumper, though it doesn't rest on the bumper if you've got all the straps at the correct tension! (Not too tight).

I also take both wheels off the bike to lighten the load a little.

I have a couple of pics somewhere at home.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:37 AM

I'll put some pics up when its fitted guys...

JMP- Thanks for the tips mate
Old 02-26-2009, 05:43 AM

I've got the SB3. It's good but you do have to be careful. I severely warped my bumper on a hot day last year whilst carrying my bike - it all popped back afterwards but someone recommended trying to get the bottom feet to push against the back of the boot lid rather than on top of the bumper. Not had a chance to try that yet.

Tim
Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If anyone could give me faults with current ones that would be good, ie areas they will damage or likley to scratch.

I have a few prototype sketches, with straps and suction mounts.

Cheers
Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 AM

Got mine back of last year off Ebay -

Quick Reply: Just ordered a Saris Bones bike rack