UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Just not meant to be......

Old 08-11-2007, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and thank you Ian for the information.

I'm halfway through a measured letter to Honda UK now - as you said - just the facts.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No affect on insurance it is a UK spec car.
The ONLY difference is the warranty is 60k miles not 90k miles.
But how many reach that in 3 years anyway
Old 08-11-2007, 03:14 AM

glad to see I'm not the only one to have had issues with this dealer.

Bought my S from them (Lindhill southend)- supposed to be brand new factory order but had 100 miles on the clock had mud and oil all over the carpets and still waiting for the tonneau cover.

I've also heard rumours that the lads working there like to take them out for a spin - so wouldn't suprise me if it had been pranged.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by havoc UK,Aug 11 2007, 08:32 AM
As for the 'Honda have lost the plot' - I CAN see Nick's point...we've had recent conversations Dave about my lack of trust in dealers, and the reasons behind it. And in my experience there aren't many dealers around (yourself excepted) who I would trust to give me a straight answer. Very sad state of affairs that the default attitude seems to be 'cover up' or 'fleece' (I nearly didn't get another Honda on the back of my dealership experiences with my first 'teg...it's just the S2000 was too good a package to ignore).

I know forums can be biased, in that you typically hear only the bad news stories. I also know that other marques have far more problems with dealer attitudes (Fiat, Peugeot, Ford, Renault, and BMW spring to mind straight away - it seems to be industry-endemic). But I do think 'Honda' in the UK (HUK through to dealers) do seem to be 'delivering less' than they used to 8 years ago when I bought my first Civic.
FWIW my contact in my local Honda dealer which is part of a large motor group says that both the group and Honda are very worried about the falling customer service standards. Problem is the pedulum is right over in the pile 'em - high, and sell 'em cheap end of the spectrum and it's very difficult to attract anything better than wide-boy pond life into the sales arena.

One or two car companies (eg Lexus) have moved away from commision based selling to flat salary for sales staff. (Before you ask it's a condition of having the franchise.) However this has yet to bear fruit as they still need to work out how to motivate the sales staff.

Find a seasoned proffesional salesman and stick with them even if it means travelling outside of you local area. If they switch brands they will be doing for a reason and this is often associated with poor service rather than direct salary.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by DawnLang,Aug 11 2007, 11:49 AM
Just a quick question - how does the EU import status affect things like insurance?
Already been answered - but I can confirm no extra for the insurance.
I paid just over
Old 08-11-2007, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have been a bit more pushy to see the car during the visit to the bodyshop..

how does honda pay it's dealers.. per car, or customer feedback??

I was recently talking to a senior guy from a car company based in munich, and he said they had cut the basic margin to the dealer - with remainder having to be earned by the customer service standards..
Old 08-11-2007, 07:38 AM

Dawn, FYI I think the Clover-Leaf (Ascot, Reading, etc) network has a few in stock at the moment. I know its the wrong side of London but might be worth a try?

http://www.cloverleaf-honda.co.uk/?group=0
Old 08-11-2007, 08:25 AM

I assume you've got your deposit back.

If are sure you don't want a hardtop, a new EU import would be the way to go, esp if you are willing to spend enough for a UK 56 plate.

Hope you have better luck with the next S.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:00 AM
B B

Excellent advice about walking away, & hopefully through the clubs assistance Honda UK will intervene.

Remember that as the buyer you should not be subservient to the seller. Without you being pro-active the seller cannot make a sale.
Try to put emotion to one side, and certainly hide your desperate desires from the salesman and dealer. It is THEY who should work for your business.

Sure the weather is fine but unless you are running out of time, there will always be more lovely days to come. Autumn is a delight in an open sports car.

Widen your search for as has already been said, there are plenty of cars out there.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:04 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any of these of any interest ?

Bharat

Quick Reply: Just not meant to be......