UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is it just me?

Old 03-02-2005, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moggy,Mar 2 2005, 07:28 AM
do you use it to commute Moor? don't you live around derbyshire though? couldn't pick a better palce to ride a bike
Yes I commute on it. Thats how I got into biking really as I moved offices and lost the nice secure parking space for the S. I couldn't leave the S in a park and ride or at the side of the road

I live near Castle Donnington. I have a 70 mile circuit I do at the weekends around Derbyshire and Leicestershire on my way to get a paper. I'll be out looking for new routes come spring.

A fast run on the bike, then a top down run in the S to relax and let the adrenaline ooz away. Roll on summer
Old 03-02-2005, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Mar 2 2005, 06:35 PM
So next time a biker does something stupid - like cutting in front of me and forcing me to brake, just to get back on the right side of the road and out of the way of oncoming traffic, it will OK to mete out a bit of damage to the bike?

FFS

I see no excuse for initating violence if no-one has actually been hurt. Booting someone's car is extremely provocative and asking for trouble. It's also likely to colour the car driver's opinion of ALL bikers. Which is unfair.

Rant by all means, but it should stop there IMO.

Good points all.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by moor deybe,Mar 2 2005, 10:42 PM
I have a 70 mile circuit I do at the weekends around Derbyshire and Leicestershire on my way to get a paper.

come on then whats the fastest you have done it in?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Mar 2 2005, 06:35 PM
So next time a biker does something stupid - like cutting in front of me and forcing me to brake, just to get back on the right side of the road and out of the way of oncoming traffic, it will OK to mete out a bit of damage to the bike?

FFS

I see no excuse for initating violence if no-one has actually been hurt. Booting someone's car is extremely provocative and asking for trouble. It's also likely to colour the car driver's opinion of ALL bikers. Which is unfair.

Rant by all means, but it should stop there IMO.

I think you'd struggle to cause any damage the bike without either running him over or getting out of the car ....but anyway, thats a different scenario - you'd be saving him and he would thank you for it.

You're right ...if he hadn't initiated the violence there would have been no problem but to suggest that its all OK "if no-one has actually been hurt" is blatantly naive and doesn't solve anything. He will continue to run riot unabated because he thinks he can get away with it every time.
So, in comparison, would you say burglary is 'OK' as long as no-one gets hurt ...let em off without so much as a warning - I think not! That 'head in the sand' attitude is unfortunately the attitude of the majority but only serves to postpone the inevitable.
Unfortunately, I lived long enough to do what I did and I stand by my convictions.
I don't suggest that anyone do as I did, but I wouldn't criticise someone for doing it.

It's also likely to colour the car driver's opinion of ALL bikers and make him think twice next time.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cerberus264,Mar 3 2005, 09:48 AM
I think you'd struggle to cause any damage the bike without either running him over or getting out of the car ....but anyway, thats a different scenario - you'd be saving him and he would thank you for it.

You're right ...if he hadn't initiated the violence there would have been no problem but to suggest that its all OK "if no-one has actually been hurt" is blatantly naive and doesn't solve anything. He will continue to run riot unabated because he thinks he can get away with it every time.
So, in comparison, would you say burglary is 'OK' as long as no-one gets hurt ...let em off without so much as a warning - I think not! That 'head in the sand' attitude is unfortunately the attitude of the majority but only serves to postpone the inevitable.
Unfortunately, I lived long enough to do what I did and I stand by my convictions.
I don't suggest that anyone do as I did, but I wouldn't criticise someone for doing it.

It's also likely to colour the car driver's opinion of ALL bikers and make him think twice next time.
I just think that initiating violence of any kind is only justified in retaliation or in self-defence.

I get annoyed by bad driving too - who doesn't? My point is that actions should reflect what happened - not what might have.

I posted here not so long ago after someone carved me up and gave me the finger. Extremely annoying but at the end of the day not sufficient grounds for violence. Some irritating hassle - like double glazing appointments and the like, but no more.

I don't understand your comparison with burglary. But if you mean should sentences vary according to the seriousness of the burglary (eg aggravated burglary), then yes, that's what I think. It doesn't mean you 'let 'em off without so much as a warning'.

I find your suggestion that meting out some violence might deter future bad behaviour quite interesting.

How would you feel if it was me doing the damaging - and the person on the other end was your wife, girlfriend or child? Not so simple?

Old 03-03-2005, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Mar 3 2005, 10:11 AM
I don't understand your comparison with burglary. But if you mean should sentences vary according to the seriousness of the burglary (eg aggravated burglary), then yes, that's what I think. It doesn't mean you 'let 'em off without so much as a warning'.

I find your suggestion that meting out some violence might deter future bad behaviour quite interesting.

How would you feel if it was me doing the damaging - and the person on the other end was your wife, girlfriend or child? Not so simple?

"I just think that initiating violence of any kind is only justified in retaliation or in self-defence."

absolutely and totally!!

giving the finger is not sufficient grounds for violence - I'd just give the finger back and move on.

My comaprison with say a simple house burglary is that an offence has been committed 'but say no-one was hurt' - does that mean they should get away with it without some kind of punishment even though the burglar may have threatened someone with a knife?

If you started on someone and they broke your legs, wouldn't you think twice about starting on them again?

Its very simple actually - Since you pose the question and hypothetically speaking, if you would stoop so low that you threatened my family, I'd 'hopefully' stop 'just short' of killing you. But you'd have no quality of life afterwards NOI, of course
Old 03-03-2005, 02:01 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cerberus264,Mar 3 2005, 10:51 AM
Its very simple actually - Since you pose the question and hypothetically speaking, if you would stoop so low that you threatened my family, I'd 'hopefully' stop 'just short' of killing you. But you'd have no quality of life afterwards NOI, of course
you're missing the point

say your wife cuts me up on the road and I give her car a few kicks -to teach her a lesson

I'm asking if you think that would be OK - based on the logic of your earlier posts

Old 03-03-2005, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Mar 3 2005, 11:01 AM
you're missing the point

say your wife cuts me up on the road and I give her car a few kicks -to teach her a lesson

I'm asking if you think that would be OK - based on the logic of your earlier posts

oh i see.

....yes thats OK if its an obviously aggressive/dangerous manouvre and if ...
1. if you can actually manage to somehow stick your leg out and reach her car?

I'd say she deserved it.

Fortunately, I don't have a wife so it wouldn't be anything to do with me.

If, however, it was my girlfriend, she probably wouldn't make such a stupid manouvre in the first place (she's a better driver than most men).

But I dare say she'd try and run you off the road for it.