UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is it just me?

Old 03-01-2005, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billy_i_vtec,Mar 1 2005, 12:11 PM
[BEGIN RANT]
...so the question is, is it just me or do other people get really pissed off with the bad driving on our roads - and what can we do about it?...
I bought a Honda CBR600F super sports bike about 8 months ago. Its considered something of a trainer bike compared to the more extreme track focused machinary around, but it does 0-60mph in under 4 seconds according to the stats, and has a power to weight ratio of over 500bhp / ton.

Filtering past a long queue is superb, and I can't remember being passed at all in the last 10,500 miles that I've done, unless I was slowing to turn left on a dual carriageway.

Cars are swept out of the way as you would dismiss a cyclist when driving a car if they're not doing the speed limit or as the mood takes me on roads without pavements at the sides. No more having to pootle along in a train of slow moving cars. Its how you're trained.....to make progress

Haven't felt irritated or even mildly fed up by anything roadwise since it became my main transport. I can certainly recommend it to those with self control and good road sense
Old 03-01-2005, 10:28 PM

do you use it to commute Moor? don't you live around derbyshire though? couldn't pick a better palce to ride a bike

what I saw yesterday I have never seen the likes of before.

A5 approaching the A43. 8am heavy enough traffic for no possible overtaking.

Beemer had overtaken me a bit back but was behind him again at some lights.

Couldn't beleive my eyes, for the next 3 miles or so this beemer wove his way up the traffic queue, think he thought he was on a motorbike I could see peoples brake lights coming on as he dived in to avoid oncoming traffic
Old 03-01-2005, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by ivanardon,Mar 1 2005, 11:24 PM
Seems to be a lot of bad driving in West of Scotland recently... I had some eejit changing his stereo driving towards me on the wrong side of the road yesterday morning, and today some bloke in a beat up SAAB 9000 pulling out right in front of me from a give way. Both occassions caused me to fill my pants and use the marvellous ABS my little Civic courtesy car has. There is a tremendous amount of selfish driving on the roads, and also not anticipating what others are going to do.
Commuting ins Glasgow is getting worse by the day. You get tw@ts queue jumping left right and centre, particularly clydeside/M8 sliproad and M8/charing cross junction. Not a good way to start a day feeling helpless and frustrated
Old 03-02-2005, 12:53 AM

Bad driving p**ses me off, but not nearly as much as when the bad driver inflicts road rage on you because when they are in the wrong. They're picking on the wrong person here...

A good example of this is a busy road in Sheffield I use a lot that has a PART TIME bus lane. Lots of idiots cannot read, and so it's often empty when you're allowed to use it. Had loads of altercations due to lazy stupid people...
Old 03-02-2005, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rocephin,Mar 2 2005, 12:36 AM
Commuting ins Glasgow is getting worse by the day. You get tw@ts queue jumping left right and centre, particularly clydeside/M8 sliproad and M8/charing cross junction. Not a good way to start a day feeling helpless and frustrated
Thankfully due to my work location changing, I dont drive into Glasgow during the day as much, so my blood pressure is probably much lower first thing in the morning. I know the two bits of road that you mentioned, I find putting on soothing classical music whenever I drive them, stops me brandishing my machette out the window... I do try and anticipate what other drivers are going to do, but sometimes I am left flabbergasted by the lack of attention some people have! The really annoying thing is the ones that I think are the most dangerous tend to drive old beat up cars, vans or company cars, having the attitude of "crash into me if you like asshole..."

Old 03-02-2005, 01:45 AM

People that don't indicate, hog middle and fast lanes and drive while holding a mobile to their ears - watch out!

Recent incidents include a tw80 who seriously endangered me by cutting me up on my bike (gave me about 2 ft in a place where you just wouldn't dare do it) so I undertook him and kicked his door panel in twice with my boot. He spent the next 1/2 mile driving up my arse in heavy traffic but when I changed lanes he was so focussed on me that he didn't see the car that had stopped in the slow lane and screeched to a halt within about 2 inches of it. He was even more incensed and got out of his car ....ran up between the lines of traffic to try and catch me at the traffic lights ....but they changed in the nick of time and I cruised into the distance. He went 'mental'!!!

Only yesterday I was having a go at some stupid woman in a BMW who was all over the road trying to negotiate a series of junctions with one hand holding her mobile against her ear. No indication anywhere so when we got to the traffic lights I gave her a load of abuse. She quickly handed the phone to her daughter and then looked at me as if she'd done nothing wrong.

Then about 1/2 mile later a middle aged arse in a JAg swapped lanes 3 times without indicating, right in front of me. When I got to a point where I was overtaking him in slowing traffic, he refused to move over into the left hand lane (even though there was a gap) so as I went around him I gave a friendly swipe over his wing mirror to pull it out of its socket. That woke him up!

I know it sounds aggressive and its not suitable for everyone to do this but you've got to let people know they are driving like fcuking idiots! People's lives are at stake.

It would be great if you could report them and they had to re-take their tests again to get their licence back but as that ain't going to happen, I'll do it my own way thanks.

yours
Mr. rather angry
Old 03-02-2005, 02:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I find the best thing to do when you encounter bad driving and subsequently make eye contact with the culprit, it just to stare at them, and then slowly shake your head as you look away. You haven't actually insulted them but they're in no doubt what you think of them. I know when it's done to me, I find it more annoying than if someone's mouthed an obscenity or made a more explicit gesture.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:16 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by cerberus264,Mar 2 2005, 10:45 AM
Recent incidents include a tw80 who seriously endangered me by cutting me up on my bike (gave me about 2 ft in a place where you just wouldn't dare do it) so I undertook him and kicked his door panel in twice with my boot. He spent the next 1/2 mile driving up my arse in heavy traffic but when I changed lanes he was so focussed on me that he didn't see the car that had stopped in the slow lane and screeched to a halt within about 2 inches of it. He was even more incensed and got out of his car ....ran up between the lines of traffic to try and catch me at the traffic lights ....but they changed in the nick of time and I cruised into the distance. He went 'mental'!!!

Only yesterday I was having a go at some stupid woman in a BMW who was all over the road trying to negotiate a series of junctions with one hand holding her mobile against her ear. No indication anywhere so when we got to the traffic lights I gave her a load of abuse. She quickly handed the phone to her daughter and then looked at me as if she'd done nothing wrong.

Then about 1/2 mile later a middle aged arse in a JAg swapped lanes 3 times without indicating, right in front of me. When I got to a point where I was overtaking him in slowing traffic, he refused to move over into the left hand lane (even though there was a gap) so as I went around him I gave a friendly swipe over his wing mirror to pull it out of its socket. That woke him up!

I know it sounds aggressive and its not suitable for everyone to do this but you've got to let people know they are driving like fcuking idiots! People's lives are at stake.
Most people don't deliberately go out of their way to endanger others on the road.

In the first instance, it may have been that the guy made a genuine mistake and didn't see you, he probably didn't do it on purpose.

By damaging his car you are likely to end up in court if he gets your number plate and decides to sue you for criminal damage. It should also be remembered that there are a lot of psychos out there who carry baseball bats/knives etc in their cars and would not hesistate to use them on you - Kenneth Noye anyone? Is it really worth getting hospitalised over a near miss?

The same is true in the second incident where you deliberately damaged someone's car.

How would you feel if someone kicked/bashed your car because you made a mistake when driving/riding - and don't tell me you never make mistakes, we all do, there is no such thing as a perfect driver/rider.

The rule I try to stick to is "don't drive like a berk, just because someone else does'
Old 03-02-2005, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Mar 2 2005, 12:16 PM
Most people don't deliberately go out of their way to endanger others on the road.

In the first instance, it may have been that the guy made a genuine mistake and didn't see you, he probably didn't do it on purpose.

By damaging his car you are likely to end up in court if he gets your number plate and decides to sue you for criminal damage. It should also be remembered that there are a lot of psychos out there who carry baseball bats/knives etc in their cars and would not hesistate to use them on you - Kenneth Noye anyone? Is it really worth getting hospitalised over a near miss?

The same is true in the second incident where you deliberately damaged someone's car.

How would you feel if someone kicked/bashed your car because you made a mistake when driving/riding - and don't tell me you never make mistakes, we all do, there is no such thing as a perfect driver/rider.

The rule I try to stick to is "don't drive like a berk, just because someone else does'
Suggesting that "Most people don't deliberately go out of their way to endanger others on the road" is a cop out!.
Accidents happen and people get killed as a direct result of these people's non-deliberate actions!

The guy made no mistake - he'd been driving up my arse at a fair speed for 1/2 mile and made an obvious, foolish and dangerous choice to cut in to me as I was exiting a roundabout. He knew what he was doing and there was no excuse.

Bollox to him getting my number - this was about 4 months ago and he hasn't done anything about it. He knew he was in the wrong and he's lucky he didn't kill me and he knows it. (I'm lucky too, of course

Agreed about knives and baseball bats, but despite the unpredictability of such situations, I know how to take care of myself (within reason) and who's to say I wouldn't resort to such tactics. Never underestimate your opponent - that goes for both me and him.

If I did what he did, and someone dislodged my wing mirror I'd think I got off lightly. You just pop em back in again. I don't cause permanent or expensive damage and I have to be really wound up to even go that far. I give a lot of benefit of the doubt before doing stuff like that and he was being ignorant of everything around him. He needed waking up to it.
However, if someone dented my car I'd be incensed but I'd rather that than end up in prison for killing them (non-deliberately so to speak).

I may sometimes make mistakes but they are so rare, and you certainly won't see me make a series of obvious mistakes in a row ...like failing to indicate, making moves without due consideration to other road users, and blocking people out. I'm considerate and patient 90% of the time and I expect everyone else to be the same.

You stick to your 'berk' rule - I make no apology in these circumstances.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:42 AM

why is it when people make a mistake, they take it out on you?

If I make a mistake, which as lovegroova says all of us do sometimes, i apologise and try to learn from it.

Other people seem to see fit to shout at me or make obscene gestures because they have made a mistake

Quick Reply: Is it just me?