UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is it just me?

Old 03-01-2005, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me?

[BEGIN RANT]

i was driving into work today in the snow - being very careful etc.

i pull up at some lights which are amber as i approach and at red as i stop and put on my handbreak - a second later two cars in the lane to my right just sail straight through the red light.

this is just one of the incidents of shit driving i saw on the road this morning on my 1/2 hour journey into work - others included the inability of some folk to stay in their own lane; lots and lots of changing lanes without indicating; lots of queue jumping.

the red light one in particular made me seethe with an unquenchable desire to do violence to those other drivers.

so the question is, is it just me or do other people get really pissed off with the bad driving on our roads - and what can we do about it?

this kind of thing has been mentioned before but it really does get to me and i'm sure that it must get to a lot of other people too - or an i mad and taking things to seriously - i don't think i am but maybe i'm wrong - i see driving as a big resposibility and always try to be a good driver, obeying all the road rules etc (with the obvious exception of the occasional heavy right-foot).

i'm just really depressed about the way a lot of folk seem to think that they can get away with ots of minor (and major) indescretions on the road and will never receive any sort of punishment for their actions - and the sad fact is that the majority of them won't.

i'm considering buying some lycra and becoming some sort of vigilante to combat bad driving - don't really have the physique for lycra though so i probably won't bother...

[/END RANT]
Old 03-01-2005, 03:15 AM
Banned

Rather than take the easy meat of people cruising safely above the speed limits on motorways, traffic cops need to earn their keep and man busy junctions and stretches of road.

That's where they'll really stop accidents and catch the drivers who risk everyones lives every day doing things like you've described above.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:21 AM

and breathe deeply!!................Thats it nice and slow.................in with anger...........out with love.

Maybe you should adopt my approach..........I get upset yes but then turn the anger to pity at their inability to drive properly.

Some people do not realize that driving is not a game on the playstation and their is real lives at stake.

As one person you will never change that and its not your job to do so!!

Commuppance??!! will always happen to them.

The true path to enlightenment is the path of the rightous road user!!

If one trys to enforce you are only a step away from sitting in the outside lane to slow traffic down! and annoying people.

Back to that breathing...............in with anger.............out with love.........

Edd the baptist!!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:24 AM

Don't get me started

I have had so many recently, that I suspect that it's me that's getting old & grumpy!

Example:

I was following an estate car down a country lane. It suddenly decides to stop on the left hand side of the road - on a blind left hand bend. No warning, no signal, nothing - just pulls over slightly & stops.

I creep up behind it, ready to drive past. I'm worried that he's stopped for something in the road, so I'm being very careful. It is dark, so I can see there are no headlights approaching, so I check behind me, signal, and start to slowly move round him / her.

At this point, he drives off. No signal, and (obviously) no mirrors. I'm half way through my manouver, and he's gone.

I 'huff' and fall in behind him. Then 100m down the road, he does it again! Exactly the same. Pulls over, no signal ON ANOTHER BLIND BEND!

Is it me?
Old 03-01-2005, 03:24 AM

[QUOTE]
Old 03-01-2005, 03:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Was coming back yesterday from East Kilbride and got stuck at a set of temporary traffic lights in Busby. For those of you that know the area, the lights were near the speed camera on the incline down into Busby but the traffic was backed up on to the dual carriageway over the brow of the hill after the Castlemilk/Thorntonhall roundabout.

Anyway, I'm sitting in stationery traffic (8 or so car lengths over the brow) and the back of the queue is by this time well back from the brow. What happens? Some d1ckhead in an Audi A4 decides he can't be ar$ed queuing and comes right up the outside lane in a shameless bit of queue jumping. As I eventually set off, he still hadn't been let in but I'm sure someone will have caved in.

That of course is deliberate bad/selfish driving. However, there is another type you see more and more. I got held up coming through Giffnock the other day because a woman was trying (and failing miserably) to reverse/parallel park her Uberwagen (Toareg or X5, I can't remember) and simply didn't have a clue. We all had to sit and wait whilst she shunted backwards and forwards, pulled out to try again etc.

It's bad enough cluttering up the roads with these tanks, but when they're just status symbols driven by footballers' wives who can't even park the things, the owners should be made to pay quadruple road tax or something ...

EDIT: There's a debate about driving standards on Five Live right now, and have just had an email (similar to the above post) read out on air ...; not quite as cool as the time I was a caller on Nicky Campbell's old phone in show
Old 03-01-2005, 07:15 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's partly the "too thick/lazy to give a fcuk" attitude of modern times.

It's also partly due to speed cameras - people are getting used to the lack of traffic plod, who would give them grief otherwise.

Don't knock women in SUVs, I remember nearly pissing myself once at one in a Mini (Issigonis), who got it to 90 Deg from kerb, trying to //el park!

She eventually got it stuck @ 45 Deg twixt kerb and back wing of adjacent car!

I had to to to the pub to calm down after seeing that one.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:50 PM

The red light thing does my head in too - and people driving the same in wet/slippy weather as they do in the dry - and it's bad enough in the dry.

M4 today was low vis due to spray and rain, and people just pull out in front of you, drive stupidly.

Running red lights at roundabouts is so common it's untrue - friend of mine was hit by a lorry that went through one recently, and i narrowly avoided being t-boned by an artic not so long ago.

Wish the police would catch the people who drive badly as most of them aren't even aware they are doing it.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:50 PM

In fact, they are worse than the ones who do it on purpose!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:24 PM

Seems to be a lot of bad driving in West of Scotland recently... I had some eejit changing his stereo driving towards me on the wrong side of the road yesterday morning, and today some bloke in a beat up SAAB 9000 pulling out right in front of me from a give way. Both occassions caused me to fill my pants and use the marvellous ABS my little Civic courtesy car has. There is a tremendous amount of selfish driving on the roads, and also not anticipating what others are going to do.

Quick Reply: Is it just me?